Friday, April 29, 2011

Sew Weekly Challenge: In My Easter Bonnet or "Royal Wedding Refashion!"

Friends, this challenge turned out MUCH better than I had ever anticipated.  I was quite nervous about making a hat because I own no hats.  Well, I own baseball hats, but those aren't quite "dressy" enough ... even when covered in sequins.  You've seen them, you know what I am talking about.

After my journey to Cincinnati, I brought back this lovely little number:


 That fabric!  Those buttons!  Those shoulderpads!


Well, I was mostly done with the outfit refashion when I realized I still needed a hat.  What to make a hat out of?  Silk was not going to be able to stand properly on its own, so I needed a foundation to cover and decorate.  And that is when Meg the Klutzy intervened.  I kicked over the garbage can in my sewing room, and out popped these two beauties...

Shoulder Pads!!! 


I pinned them together, added some black trim around the edge, made three fabric flowers, disassembled a broken, unloved necklace and stole its beads, and added some fabulous blue flower bobby pins from a high school dance to hold it all in place!



Here is the hat with the new fabulous outfit!


I took off the sleeves, repurposed the shoulder pads, stitched the jacket and skirt together at the waistline, added a black ribbon belt, created a V neck line, closed the jacket front, inserted a zipper in the left side, added the leftover buttons to the dress bodice, and hemmed the skirt. 


I. Love. It.


A close up of the fabric and buttons - I like that they are closer together and are so sparkly.  I think it gives this outfit a little pizazz!


Throw on a black blazer, pop that collar, and I am stylish and ready to go to work!


Me with the television - Will and Kate are about to kiss!  Squee!


I got up at 3am CDT to watch the entire wedding while finishing my hat- and friends, it was FABULOUS!  Kate was stunning in every sense of the word, and Will was oh-so-romantic when he wouldn't turn to look at her until the last second!  Harry was quite the rascal and the hats were marvelous to behold.  I had the best time chatting up my sister in Texas, who also woke up at 3, and talking about the guests, the dress, the romance - I had a great time, sis!



It was all so magical :) 


7 comments:

  1. Great refashion and so British!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Fabulous refashion! I love how you made the hat!! BRILLIANT! I know, wasn't the wedding super?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAT = BRILLIANT!

    And great re-fashion. I'm so impressed you woke up at 3 and were able to finish this outfit up while watching the ceremony!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU GET RIGHT OUTTA HERE!

    shoulder pads. the sheer brilliance of it all.

    oh, two other people said brilliant already. well, i guess three makes it true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic outfit and the hat is amazing! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally blown away, this is fantastic. I'm not a fan of the 80s and you have made somwething fab. Love the hat too. well done you, it has inspired me to refashion something, it's something I have never done! PS the wedding was amazing, I did have a tear or two, which was a bit embarising as we had friends for high tea to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im stunned... this is soo awesome!

    ReplyDelete