Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Redhead's Best Friend

Friends, I gave in and bought a hat pattern because one can only wear so much SPF 100. (Seriously, it's the consistency of paint.  I mean, I like looking like a mime sometimes... but there are days when I want to leave that side of my personality at home.)


I found this awesome hat pattern online via the Sew Weekly..but Friends, IT HAS MATH.  I saw "Radius" and "Pi" and I saw myself sitting on the floor surrounded by mismatched hat pieces and ribbon.  There may have been tears in this vision.  Well!  We can't have that!

So I googled sun hat patterns and Boom!  Amy Butler swooped in and saved the day:


This is in transit to me...and I think I may need to use some fabulous graffiti sheets I have lying around to make a truly one-of-a-kind hat.  Also, I may make the brim bigger because I am obnoxious...and a redhead. 

Are any of you Lovelies making a hat for the summer?  Let me know - I'd love to see your pictures!

6 comments:

  1. have you tried nautrogena's ultra sheer spf 100 spray? it's the best thing in the world (so is the fresh cooling spf 70 spray because it smells so good).

    the hat is super cool btw! but us redheads need some HC spf too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking at that Amy Butler hat for awhile now, but I could never figure out how it would look on me. Now I get to see how it looks on you! :)

    I tried making a sun hat from this book http://www.amazon.com/Lotta-Jansdotters-Simple-Sewing-How/dp/0811852571 and it didn't fit my head without squeezing it on (giving me a headache). It seriously looked like a bonnet, I tried passing it off to a 7 year old and she rejected it! I think I'll try making it again but I will note to adjust the pattern pieces to ensure a proper fit on my big noggin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see how your hat turns out! I hadn't really thought of making one, but once I see your finished version I just might change my mind. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!!! Can't wait to see it! :-) I need a new sunhat, myself. Mine has perma-creases because I've folded it up and packed it on trips so many times. Vive le hat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Im a sucker for sun screen& Hat combo.
    I only use spf50 - and every day. My ultimate favorites are Mac MAC - Prep and Prime Face Protect SPF 50 and No7 Anti-AgeingFacial Protect SPF 50.
    Not only fair skin should use it ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vogue magazine just had a great article on sunscreen and how SPF really isn't everything...I don't remember it exactly, but the gist of it was that there are other rays you have to keep out too and how to find sunscreens with ingredients that do that. It was VERY interesting.

    ReplyDelete