Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Sweetest Piece of Candy I Ever Bought

Friends, this will be the last time I talk about patterns....at least this week. 

I just bought a pattern.  A completely impractical, unusable pattern.  Those tricksters at Vogue patterns knew what they were doing when they sent me an email with the Pattern of the Week.  They know how my heart leaps at the sight of lace and skirts and tales of happily ever after. 

When I opened my weekly newsletter, it was like rainbows and unicorns and sunsets and the smell of lilacs on a hot summer day.  It was the stuff dreams are made of...


I know, right?  It's a wedding knock off pattern, which is totally fine by me!  Because that wedding dress was a stunner, and I am not the only one who thought so.

I had absolutely no reason to buy this pattern.  I'm not getting married, and even if I did, I'm not nearly as awesome a seamstress as Suzannah from Adventures in Dressmaking (who is making her own wedding dress and the process is AMAZING).

I just looked at it, and like a completely impractical pair of black strappy stilettos, I had to have it.  It even cost me the same as said stilettos - $4.99.  (I know, right?  I pay more for lunch most days.)  Now you want one too, don't you? 

I'm thinking that if I ever did make this, I would shorten the skirt and make it in red.  Red screams passion and a night out on the town with wine glass in hand.  White wine, of course, because I don't want to clash with my dress.  And not champagne, because I am just wrecked the next day.  (All those little bubbles = worst. hangover. ever.)  So, we'll go with Muscat.  Yes, me in this fabulous red dress, wine glass in hand...

*sigh*

Have you ever bought a completely impractical pattern?  I have a feeling this may sit in my stash like a lovely box of caramels I got for Christmas...



6 comments:

  1. Yay! So beautiful. And that handmade wedding dress is blowing my mind! All those pretty tulle layers! So romantic! :)

    You could wear your sexy red dress WITH the impractical black stilettos! Eee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would look gorgeous in Red and not as a wedding dress. I say do it! OR, you could be Kate for Halloween ;) That's always my excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be a cool idea to make this into an every day dress. An interesting take on "the dress" rather than all the wedding knock offs that'll soon be out there. Would be fun to see in red, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my stars. I have to own this pattern now! There are no wedding bells in my immediate future, but - you're right - short and red would be fabulous! Knowing me, though, I'll end up doing short and pink. ;)

    Best impractical pattern ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. heck yeah -- but I like to look at them, so it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I've got Vogue 1172 and 1227, which I will never make or wear, but because I am fascinated by the bustier bodices they are now on my sewing table.

    ReplyDelete