Monday, July 11, 2011

Sew Weekly Challenge: American Apparel or "I'm Moving and This Wasn't Packed Yet" Refashion

Friends, I hate moving.  I hate packing.  I have serious Girl Scout anxiety because I know life is unpredictable and I want to be prepared.  With options. 

Will I need to go to a cocktail party during our time in the sublet?  I need four appropriate dresses. 

Is Chicago going to hate on me and snow in September?  Pack all cardigans. 

Am I going to have regular access to a washing machine?  Oh jeez...just pack everything.


In the middle of all this madness, I was trying to figure out how I could quickly finish last week's challenge.  I found this dress from Irina Shabayeva's Spring 2011 collection.  She was a Project Runway contestant, and her designs steal my heart.

This dress has cut outs....



...just like this wool acrylic dress my Mom passed onto me! 

Operation Condor, ya'll.


Close up of the cut outs.  I'm wearing a black bra because I am classy like that.


I took in the sides and chopped off the sleeves.  Due to the kimono sleeves, it was crazy difficult to take in the long sleeves on this puppy.  Eventually, I gave up because it was 2am on Sunday morning and went with short sleeves.  Overall, I'm completely pleased and think this dress would be great for autumn.  With knee high black boots.  And a black pashmina.  Rock star.


Eat your heart out, Joan Holloway.



Friends, I hope to catch up with you all soon once everything is unpacked! 

Have a great day where you are :)

9 comments:

  1. I love this dress! Also... is this your new place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god bombshell!!!!!

    i'm working on a cutout dress as we speak. like purple person said, i hope i have enough bomb to fit that shell. if it turns out i don't, may i borrow some of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! You're so good with these refashions and I totally need to try this one day. Happy unpacking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you look stunning! I'd say you got the sleeves just perfect. Amazing views behind you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a beautiful dress NOW!!!
    Greetings from germany, Bettina

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one sassy refashion, Miss Meg!! You look utterly fabulous and I know Joan Holloway is totally eating her heart out! :) RAWR!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that you have salvaged the parts of that dress that worked so well: the color and the cutouts! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant refashion! Looks fab! :-)

    ReplyDelete