Friday, July 29, 2011

Sew Weekly Challenge: Nautical or "Don't be blinded by the pasty whiteness"

As you may be able to tell from other posts, I love Vogue patterns.  They are just soooo pretty, and I love the possibilities of what these patterns could do for my closet.  I decided it was finally time to tackle one that I've had cut out for six months now.

Vogue 2859 - I fell in love with the blouse, but I may need to make the dress after seeing Kat's lovely version.


I decided to take my time (since this would be my first time making a Vogue pattern), use the simulated French seams again, and finish it properly.  Well, I got it finished and there was one slight surprise:
It shows a bit more skin than I had EVER anticipated.


I love the color, the shape, the details...but sweet monkeys in a basket, I did not expect to be showing my midriff!  Granted, I've been working out like a fiend for the marathon so I'm not too upset, but I'm afraid the glare off my skin might blind passerby.


I'm disappointed because I worked on this blouse for about nine hours, only to not be able to wear it for nine months out of the year here. 
 

If I made it again, I would add four inches to the bottom.  I'm going to blame the midriff factor on my bust being a bit larger than the 1930's norm. 

This definitely doesn't feel like a 1935 design.  Rather, I'm feeling more like Annette Funicello and I need to be rocking out on a beach somewhere.
 

I'm still going to wear it during the summer.  I'll just need to keep working out in order to wear it, so I guess that's a good incentive?

Disappointment mingled with joy that I conquered the toughest pattern I've come across yet.  Totally bittersweet.
On a happy note...Rob loves me.  A lot.

I did not realize how much until I came home and found that he had made me a cake.  He cut up a marble sheet cake...

 

...and made marshmallow fondant ... and transformed it all into a Tardis.

My awesome boyfriend made me a TARDIS! *SQUEEEEEEEE*  (I might have flipped out with joy)


We are taking it to one of my favorite restaurants tonight to celebrate my birthday with my friends (most of who love the Doctor as well).  Totally geektastic!!

Well, friends, if you are still interested in the birthday giveaway, there is still time to enter!

Have a great evening, all!

13 comments:

  1. oh my god i love the grand household. every post here is a party.

    my birthday is next week! YEAH SUMMER BABIES! eat alla rob's cake and work that hot midriff top!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My birthday is this coming week too! The 5th, to be precise. You rock that shirt! In the illustration, it does land on her natural waist, but I can understand the confusion. I'd stick it with a circle skirt and be done.
    Of course, the minute I have to hold off on SW stuff, they start doing good challenges. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha that's awesome! A tardis cake! Love it. :-)

    And thanks for tackling the shirt - looks great! I'll be adding some length to it when I make it up for myself I think... How well do you reckon the waist ties will work in a longer cut, now that you know how it fits?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you're still rocking the top even if it didn't turn out to be as long as you thought it would. :)

    Pattern pictures can be awfully misleading like that! Grrr!

    He's such a sweetie making you a cool tardis cake! Now all he needs to do is arrange for David Tennant to jump out of it! hehe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh all the birthday girls! Happy birthday! Love this blouse and the poses are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmph. my husband has NEVER made me a Tardis cake. What is WRONG with him???

    that is a FABULOUS blouse and you can totally rock that all summer. Plus you get to say stuff like "Hey Big Daddy, dig that crazy beat!"

    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely blouse - you could team it with a high waisted pencil skirt to show off minimal midriff?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meow! That is one hot top, Meg!

    Happy happy birthday and I LOVE your Tardis cake! Here's to getting your geek on loud and proud!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is gorgeous! I love the color!

    I think you could pair the blouse with a high waisted skirt or pant. The 30's pants are also quite similar in cut and shape to the high waisted wide 70's pants as well, (just without the pockets), so it's usually easy to find patterns that just needs some minor alterations to get the perfect 30's/40's look! :)

    Oh and btw here's another summer baby - My birthday is the 6'th. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cake is absolutely fantastic. You'll have to make an outfit with some Doctor Who inspiration now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have this pattern and was planning to make the blouse up soon. Thanks for the tip, it does look shortwaisted doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy MOLY ma'am! The marathon training certainly is agreeing with you! You look amazing! :-)

    ReplyDelete