Saturday, November 26, 2011

30DoC: For the Kitchen

I made pie.  Kind of.


Susie, Rob's mom, is a great cook so I try and learn a little bit about cooking when we visit.


Susie put me on pie crust decorating duty.  She gave me a cookie cutter and I went nuts.


Susie and I got into a fight and tried to hug each other. 


The pies came out reasonably well.  Look at my lovely crusts!  They were SUPER tasty.  

 

I had a fabulous time decorating and then eating these wondrous pies.  Do you decorate your crusts if you make pie?

Susie's recipe for pie crust:

1 1/3 cup flour
1 tablespoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 stick of butter
1/4 cup cold water

The butter and water need to be cold. Cut butter into salt/flour/sugar mixture.  Mix water in - works great with food processor.  You should end up with a ball of dough.  Refrigerate for one hour.  Roll out to desired thickness and lay over pie plate. 

Enjoy!!

12 comments:

  1. super cute decoration, well done you, what fun x

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a pretty good job to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum, yum, yum...love the pumpkin pie and the crusts look fabulous! I just love that picture of the two of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the crust recipe - I'm always looking for a good one. I love the leaves you used for decoration. And thanks for your comment on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey you did a lot better than I could have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't but I will try it today, Andrew and I are having a late T-giving together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Yum. OK, I seldom bake pies and when I do I don't decorate the crusts, but now I NEED to. So adorbs!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And you shall be called Pie Mistress henceforth!

    Fantastic job, Meg! Pastry and I don't play well together, but we'll try and reconcile in the new year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha! I love the hug photo. I'm an avid pie-maker, it is the only thing I can make well, but I've yet to decorate a crust.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pies you made! We traveled away for Thanksgiving, and I was charged with making pumpkin pies. I bought pie crusts instead of making them -- all that was left in store was graham cracker crust. Forgot to bring sugar, then found that the condensed milk I had grabbed in a hurry was actually sweetened condensed milk. Eggs were normal, as was canned pumpkin and pie spice. Best pies ever -- even baking the unconventional crusts.

    ReplyDelete