Sunday, November 20, 2011

30DoC; Thanksgiving or "I'm Going to Eat a Ton of Turkey" Dress

Friends, I want to thank all of you for all of your kind comments and amazing tips regarding the "Please, Just Make It Stop" Dress.  It made me feel worlds better that maybe I wasn't the only one who absolutely detests tracing patterns.  If I ever do choose to venture down that road again, I will definitely employ some of the tips you have so kindly passed along to me!

For today's challenge, I wanted to make up for yesterday's challenge.  I knew I wanted to continue my stash busting trend, so I grabbed some sheer brown polyester blend and a fabulous ivory polyester blend for the lining to make Butterick 5206:


I figured that by using knit fabrics, I could avoid worrying about my clothes feeling too tight when I assault the meaty juicy goodness that is waiting for me on Thursday.  There is one slight problem, however...

 The parts of my body that stick out slightly press up against the ivory polyester lining..


...making a weird kind of effect and drawing eyes to certain parts that shouldn't be so recognizable.

I looked at the photos and it was very much a reaction of, "WHAT IS THAT."

The fabric is brown with an orange and yellow pattern.  The belt incorporates some scrap orange polyester that was sitting in the stash closet of doom.

I like the dress, truly I do, but I'm worried if it doesn't seem a little... ahem ... scandalous for a Thanksgiving feast with the boyfriend's family.... many of whom are very religious and I have never met.


 
Friends, would you scrap the polyester dress of wonder?  Or would you say it's okay for a family gathering??  I'd love to know your opinions!  Either way, the dress is super comfy and would pack very well.  Maybe I should track down a cardigan in the meantime...
 
have a fabulous night, all!

13 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome! Even with the strange tendency to highlight, I would totally wear it with a cute cardigan. The orange details really make it. You look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks nice, maybe only his creepy uncle will notice. Lol. Did you take the pictures with flash? That tends to highlight stuff like that, which wouldn't normally be noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be proud of your recognizable parts of the body! And it's an awesome Thanksgiving dress! Accessories, i mean necklace or alike can also shift focus slightly, if you really wanted it. I would also agree about flash and photography - it may Have enhaced the shine! But it is a great sexy dress, without being scandalous at all! And as long as YOU feel comfortable and confident in it... You know it, right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, another one, i just thought of it - the dress actually reminded me of Sophie Loren in Marriage Italian Style - i just saw that movie and she was strikingly beautiful in the way she wore her clothes, with so mzch pride and confidence! :-) what shoes do you want to wear with the dress - my vote would be for some simple but sexy heels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it is certainly an awesome dress, very flattering, but if you have doubts, I would opt for something else...but that's just my rule of thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES! Very cute! I don't think it'll be an issue when you're moving around and such. Plus, if you don't notice it looking in the mirror, it's probably a trick of the camera. A cute cardigan would be one way to play it safe, though! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. okay. i love the dress. did you use the flash? could that be highlighting the naughtier bits? do you have time to throw it in a tub of orange dye before turkey day?

    (wc: revali. meg was deservedly proud, yet wary of her revaling garment)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it just the way it is! Make everyone else jealous at Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you are on a major making role! Your dress is great I love the trim. Shiny bits or not, I think you should wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. cardigan.
    tights.

    you are good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the dress! It looks very similar to something I've had in mind for a while. I'd totally wear it to a family gathering! I think the weird reflections are probably a lot less noticable when not caught on film...

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think its totally amazing!!! try cardigan or scarf.. but the fit is fabulous. don't throw to the scrap closet of doom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think it's scandalous! I love the shape of it a LOT. What if you made another one with different lining so you didn't have the highlighted parts? :-)

    ReplyDelete