Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sew Weekly Challenge: Make This Look or the "At Last" Blouse

Friends, so far this year I have used the Colette Patterns Taffy and Ceylon. Why quit while I'm ahead?  For this challenge, I finally settled on making a luscious Jasmine blouse (and by finally settled, I mean that this was the third project I had attempted for this challenge.  You'll get to see the failures later this week).

 My "Make This Look" inspiration was none other than fashionista Sarai, whose amazing polka dot Jasmine made me long for a navy blue one of my very own.


The shirt was made with navy polyester from my stash - it has the perfect amount of drape for this pattern, I think. I wore this ensemble to work today - the skirt is from a refashion seen here.  It's always nice to find an outfit that fits corporate America's standards while letting me flex my sewing muscle.


While I really love the look of this blouse, I definitely am having issues with the facings.  They keep popping up even though I've tacked them down in spots.  It makes the shirt sit a little oddly, but I'm hoping with some ironing and washing it will relax a little.  

It's a fabulous, versatile piece - perfect for work or play - and I can see myself making several of these in the future in all colors (and by all colors, I mean various shades of orange).

Friends, I know some of you have tried the Jasmine blouse pattern.  Any further recommendations on making the facings lay flat?  If you would let me know, I would greatly appreciate it!

Have a great day all, and stay warm - it's brisk out there today!

10 comments:

  1. never tried, so cannot help my friends.. still looks lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great, a lovely blouse. I too have a problem with facings, even when tacked and iron they still seem to escape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Understitch the facings. That is, after you have stitched them (and trimmed the seam -- I often use pinking shears to trim, as they automatically clip the curves for me), fold the facing out flat and sew the seam allowance to the facing pieces from the right side, stitching close to the facing seam. This treatment will both strengthen the facing/garment connection, and tug the facings inward to snug up against the inside of the garment. You may still have to tack them at strategic points, but they'll be much less likely to flip out on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm actually wearing mine today! I understitched the facings and tacked them in a few spots, but they do have the tendency to peek out when I first put it on. I think the tons and tons of pressing that I did to keep the facings down has helped greatly. Once I actually get it on and situated it stays flat. Maybe the pressing is like muscle memory for the blouse? It seems to be working.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No idea about the facings (though understitching might help, yes?)--just wanted to say the blouse looks lovely! And I had been really skittish about that sleeve option (everything seemed so puffy!) so it's reassuring to see it looking so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So gorgeous! And is names after a beautiful song! (Etta James - At Last). I also understitch and tack down, but even then they pop out. Them facings are pesky things! I think I need to follow Christine's lead and get more serious with the iron.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it when I can wear something I've made to work :) I haven't tried any Colette patterns YET so I can't help with the facings issue...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely lovely, Meg! It looks amazing on you, especially with that fabulous refashioned skirt. As for facings, I gave up on them. Despite all my tacking & under-stitching, I could never get them to lay flat, so I started substituting bias tape or linings for them. It's odd, actually, because I have a few vintage garments that have facings and I have no trouble with those at all. There must be some sort of trick to them that those vintage sewists knew!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blouse is super pretty, and definitely wearable in so many different ways! Would of liked to of seen some closer shots too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous blouse (the whole outfit is pretty pretty, in fact!)

    ReplyDelete