Wednesday, March 14, 2012

That's Sew Cinematic: Doctor Who: The Impossible Astronaut Shirt

Friends, as I am such a huge Doctor Who geek, it should come as no surprise that I wanted to re-create this shirt that the lovely Amy Pond (Karen Gillian) wears in The Impossible Astronaut:

Image found here


It just so happened that I had a similar shirt in my closet, which I had stolen from Rob's side of the closet:


Mine is a little more faded, but I like to pretend that it's from all the escaping from Daleks/reprogramming Cybermen/giggling at Adipose that I do all day.


I took the sleeves off, took in the sides of the shirt, and then reattached the sleeves with some gathers at the top.  It's loose like a tunic but still alludes to my curves.  I dig it.  I like to think it's very Amy in its present state.


This refashion was quick and easy, which was great for me.  After working on my "Green" dress for the Sew Weekly, I desperately needed some instant gratification sewing. 


Pond on pond action (*giggle*)


I'm currently working on my first sewn from scratch Cinematic post!  It's all kinds of crazy in my sewing room right now, patterns and fabric thrown all over the place.  I'm hoping to get organized this weekend while Rob is out hitting the bars with other green beer enthusiasts.  I personally prefer to stay at home and watch Darby O'Gill and the Little People and Finian's Rainbow (for the bajillionth time) :) 

Have a great day all, and thanks for stopping by!

18 comments:

  1. Very Amy-esque indeed! And it looks like such a great, comfy outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is totally comfy - I love men's shirts - they're just the best to work with!

      Delete
  2. Meg, you make the perfect doctor assistant ... Iove it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that might be the best compliment I've ever gotten ;) XOXOXO!

      Delete
  3. Haha. Ha. Pond on pond. I get it.
    It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad someone got it!! Thanks, Meli!

      Delete
  4. You nailed it. My students talk about Doctor Who quite a bit. I was so suprised there is a new one... I used to watch it when I was a kid but all I remember is black and white swirly hypnotizing images....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jodi, I think you would love it - it's definitely not in B&W anymore, and the Doctors are a bit more... dreamy, shall we say.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love it!! Isn't that Alex Kingston on the left in the photo? You are amazing at getting your cinematic items out - I haven't started yet! Eep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Alex Kingston! She is completely BRILLIANT in the show. I'm looking forward to your awesome Downton Abbey posts - they are so delightful! And besides, you've been working hard on Sew Colette, so don't beat yourself up :)

      Delete
  6. So very Amy! I love it and all your Doctor Who- related projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shirt and outfit are fab! I also think you'd fit quite well in with Firefly with your boots!

    Where is this magical place you're posing at with a pond?! It looks like a lovely spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG love me some Firefly...if only I could pull off overalls and grease smudges as well as Kaley... The pond/park is at our building! You should come visit :)

      Delete
  8. ARRRRRRRRGH.

    It takes NOTHING AT ALL to get "When The Idle Poor Become The Idle Rich" stuck in my head. And then I have PTSD-inducing flashbacks of playing a vamp for about forty minutes while some stupid little leprechaun does magic tricks on stage.

    Thank you. Thank you very much.

    Also: that is a great shirt, I wish I had one. But I don't.

    Thank you. Again.

    Also also: IS THAT A SONIC SCREWDRIVER?!?!?


    Why do I talk to you again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my sonic she is holding (insert inappropriate joke here). She does have her own. It's Dr. Song's from the "Silence in the Library" episode.

      Delete
    2. I hate you both.

      Yes. Yes I do.

      Delete