Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Clothes I've Bought: 2012

Friends, in 2011 I decided I wasn't going to buy any clothes (aside from skivvies, bras, socks, or running clothes - because I wasn't going to attempt making those).  Aside from one t-shirt, which I still look at with guilty feelings, I was completely successful.  I renewed that pledge for this year, but I allowed myself to buy two pieces of clothing.  Of course, both of these were bought while on vacation in Disney World.  

I bought a long sleeve Princess Half Marathon shirt to take with me on the chillier days around the park.  I like long sleeve tees for all of the transitional weather we get in Chicago, and I wanted to celebrate the run with a garment that wasn't a running shirt.  I passed on the tiara and wine glass for this shirt, which proved to be an excellent decision!


I also bought myself the MOST EPIC HOODIE EVER.

 A close up of said hoodie, which is black, white and gray...

With images of Disney villains all over it..  

I justified this by saying I will never find fabric that awesome to make a similar piece.  Also, I knew I would regret it if I didn't buy it.  It's just one of those pieces that I saw from across the store, tried it on for fit, and went to the register without thinking twice.

Now that I've gotten the clothes buying out of my system for the year, I would like to see if I can go the rest of the year without purchasing any more items (aside from those types mentioned above).  I would also like to become one of those people that makes all their skivvies.  I'm working on my first few pairs now.  Any suggestions/tips for making your own undies, friends?  Do you try and resist buying clothes as often as possible?  Any exceptions to that rule for you?  Let me know in the comments!

11 comments:

  1. I decided that I would give myself an allotment of five RTW items for this year (thrifted items I deemed acceptable), and so far I've only bought a pair of sailor pants. I am sorely tempted by cardigans, though, as Target has so many cute colors and the ones in thrift stores are usually pilled beyond wearability. Do let us know how skivvy-making goes; I always thought of it as one of those things that's not really worth the trouble and I'd like to know if I'm wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that hoodie is awesome! You shouldnt feel guity at all! Ur absolutely right, its so unique and funky! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to not buy new clothes as often as possible. Working at Salvation Army is very tempting to just keep filling my closet with stuff.
    I'm also just a tad addicted to those many shirt a day sites and my tee collection has gotten a wee bit out of hand. I've only bought like five so far this year so I'm definitely cutting back on that.

    Also, please let us know how the undie making adventure works out. I have a pattern and I'm terrified of how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find the more I sew the less I can stand RTW -- from time to time something catches my eye, so I'll go try it on and about 98% of the time the fit is off an I no longer have any interest. I've become much more critical the more I sew, and with the exception of a pair of jeans I bought in the week when I managed to rip almost every pair I owned I don't think I've bought anything but socks/undies/and exercise clothes in a year or so. I just got a book on working with stretch fabrics an drafting underwear and bras and whatnot. I keep circling around it, so we'll see. I look forward to seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's see, the first photo is probably Epcot and the second looks like Sunset Blvd at MGM Studios (I can't get used to the fact they call it Hollywood Studios now!). I love Disney World so obviously these are solid purchases all around :)

    Your shoe posts were awesome btw! I tend to go for Mary Janes or t-straps so those posts were right up my alley. And I even have those Marianne by Golc sandals in red and beige!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, right, skivvies = undies. Here was thinking you were talking about turtlenecks....confusion.... :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. That hoodie is awesome! And you definitely couldn't make it yourself, so no guilt there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make my own undies - it's not as hard as you might think, or at least I found it wasn't. The other thing I found - the ones I've made are waaaaay more comfy than purchased ones, and even better, I make them in a variety of fabrics so they're fun, too. :-) It's a really good way of using up small pieces of knit fabrics, or of giving a new life to an old tshirt. Best way I found was to take a pair of undies you already own that you like the fit of, sacrifice them to the sewing goddesses, cut 'em up and make a pattern from 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last year, I challenged myself to buy one article of clothing per month. However, I included shoes in that challenge, and throughout the year, I actually bought 7 pairs of shoes, and only 5 articles of clothing! I found it was much easier than I thought it was going to be too.

    That hoodie is totally acceptable as a rule-breaker. It is epic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally justifiable purchases. I wouldn't be able to resist shopping at Disney World either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one AWESOME hoodie!

    ReplyDelete