Monday, May 21, 2012

TSC: The Love Story Dress

Friends, I may not be the biggest fan of the movie Love Story, but I am a HUGE fan of the clothes that Ali McGraw wears throughout the film.

One of my favorites would have to be this dress:

image found here
I loved the way it moved, but I knew I was not going to be working with silk.  I settled on finding a knit dress pattern and decided on Vogue 8685.  I loved the midriff detailing, which mirrored the original inspiration dress.  I also loved that it allowed for a fuller skirt and long sleeves.  Perfect.



For my version, I used some red knit that I snagged out of a remnant box during the NYC meet-up.  I had been waiting for the perfect project and this was it:


I LOVE this dress. Positively love it.


The dress has been completed for over a month, but I was only able to get out and take pictures now that the weather has warmed up a bit.  I've been wearing it to work often because it's so comfortable and definitely business-like when I pair it with a black jacket and heels.



I made some alterations to the pattern as I went along, but the main one was eliminating the zipper.  I initially put one on down the center back seam, but the dress ended up being too big in the bodice.  Once I removed the zipper and took in the dress in the center back seam, I was still able to pull it on over my head. 


The neckline came out a little stranger than I would have thought, but I think that's just because of the knit I used - it sticks out instead of laying flat.  Though it's evenly stitched, when it sticks out, it appears to have a few waves in it.  I'm wondering if I should double edge stitch it (like the other seams on this dress), but it's not bothering me too much to stop wearing it.


I did come across a problem with the dress while we were taking pictures, unfortunately...


I am definitely going to have to be vigilant against gusts of wind!


Overall, this is probably one of my favorite things I've made so far this year.  I will definitely be making this pattern again, probably in a blue or green... or maybe pink, since I appear to have a large amount of pink knit in my closet :)


Friends, how do you feel about Love Story?  Love the story or love the fashion?  Or both?

Let me know in the comments, and thanks for reading!  XOXO!

20 comments:

  1. Oooooh, pretty! Love that colour, dress looks fab! :-)

    I must admit that I've never seen Love Story. In fact, I don't even know what it's about.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have never seen Love Story, although I do think the tagline "Love means never having to say you're sorry" is one of the worst pieces of relationship advice ever!

    I do love your dress, though; red dresses are my weakness! Maybe it's time to make some tap pants?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an amazing dress and it really looks like the original! I have to confess that I've never seen that movie either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen the movie either but I LOVE this dress....all red dresses are fabulous...and I love the flowy skirt on this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meg, yet another amazing dress!
    I really love your blog so I've decided to pass on the Liebster Award to you.
    Check out my blog for more details.
    - Anna -

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy! This dress is BEEEautiful. The drape, the amazing fit, the color! Love it and your photos. You're such a star in them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sadly I've not watched Love Story, but I do know I love your dress! It's so perfect in every day and you look stunning in it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen Love Story... but your dress is gorgeous! It almost looks like something that Kate used-to-be-Middleton-now-is-royal-and-I-can't-remember-her-proper-title would wear!
    Also, I just thought I'd let you know I've tagged you in a blog meme! You can find the post here: http://meganandthemachine.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/challenge-11-things.html
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dress is sooo pretty!! I love it!! I haven't seen this movie yet, but I'll add it to my watch list for later!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous dress! Looks so good with your beautiful hair!! I love the song Love Story and can play it on the piano but haven't had the chance to watch the movie. Now I know there are nice clothes in it, i will find it and watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't remember Love Story, but I love the image and LOVE your dress! I'm a big fan of red dresses in general and the long sleeves are brilliant-- you can wear this most of the year. I actually have this pattern but I'm still working up to a basic proficiency with knits. Good to know I can skip the zip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, love, love this dress!! It's just stunning, Meg, and looks smashing on you!! Fantastic job, my doll!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You honored the original very well. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oooh terrific dress!!! i haven't seen love story (my friends are always amazed when that comes up!), but i'll definitely have to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the fashion in Love Story (although not a big fan of weepies)! This is a gorgeous dress-- I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful beautiful dress :D It fits so well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI SEXY!!!!!

    okay, loving those nude toned heels that make your gams go on for daaaaaays, and HAWT. PINK. although it's really red. you look hawt in either color.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay for knit dresses! The colour is absolutely gorgeous and I love the flowy skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never seen Love Story.

    I LOVE this dress though. Holly moley! It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never seen Love Story.

    I LOVE this dress though. Holly moley! It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete