Monday, May 14, 2012

TSC: Now and Then Outfit

Friends, when I was growing up, I was lucky enough to have a movie that coincided with my time of adolescence.  That movie was Now and Then:

image found here
Whoever thought to cast Devon Sawa in that film was a GENIUS.  I never bought so many Tiger Beats as when he was all over the cover.

image found here
Since this movie has always stayed with me as one of the highlights of my pre-teen years, I knew I had to honor it with an outfit for That's Sew Cinematic.  I got the chance to revisit my tomboy years as well as make some staple pieces for my closet - it's a win/win.

I started with the idea of stripes and jean shorts and just ran with it...

image from here

 and by "ran" I mean "I jumped around with it"


Shirt: Sew U: Home Stretch t-shirt pattern
Shorts: refashioned jeans from HIGH SCHOOL (!!!)


I really loved taking these photos with my neighbors staring at me.  


I love this outfit.  It's 100% casual, and definitely reflective of the movie - I can run, play baseball, and kiss cute boys while drinking Coke out of a glass bottle.  
 

The shirt is insanely comfortable.  I bought this jersey during the great NYC meet-up but had not gotten the chance to use it until now.  
 

There were ducks in the pond.  The male Mallard duck was all like, "Hey."  And the girl Mallard duck was all like, "Hey yourself."  It was too adorable for words.


Close up of the fabric - I bought it because I loved the varying shades of yellow, and I love the way it looks as a t-shirt!
 

OK friends, tell me:  What was the defining movie of your adolescence?  I'd love to know!

16 comments:

  1. Eeeep I have so many memories tied to this movie! I bet I've seen it 25 times. When it came out, the girls in the movie were a few years older than me so naturally I thought they were totally cool. I distinctly remember rolling up my jeans to make knee-length "shorts" just like Samantha, and learning all the words to "Knock Three Times," and giggling with my friends during the Devon Sawa skinny dipping scene. My only qualm with the film is that Christina Ricci grew up to be Rosie O'Donnell. Seriously? Anyway, love your outfit homage to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, love this ensemble! So, so cute! You OWN yellow stripes, missy! And I looooove this question! Hmm... I'm tempted to say Wayne's World or Clueless or something along that vein, although really, probably the Wonder Years is the thing I think as the most definitive of my early teen years (not a movie, so I cheated, but hey, sue me!!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine was Pride and Prejudice. (The 6 hour A&E one with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle)) Can't say it had a thing to do with me at the time, but I watched it so many times every member of my family could recite the whole thing.

    loved Now &Then too :) Your outfit is brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!! So much awesomeness in one outfit! Yippee!! Defining movie of my adolescence? Dirty Dancing, hands down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "now and then" was definitely one of my seminal adolescent flicks as well--it's only looking back at it and re-watching it now that i get why it used to make me so happy and so sad at the same time! great, fun outfit...definitely the type to make one happy just by looking at it with that gorgeous yellow and those comfy denim capris.

    puu

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was OBSESSED with that movie. I still have the soundtrack and listen to it :) Your whole outfit is so fitting for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister and me watched this movie so many times we could quote almost every line of it!!
    and yes, Devon Sawa was the most handsome boy in the world, and a clever one, because he chose Nina Ricci instead of any other silly girlie girl! That was until Dicaprio and Titanic came along, of course... Looking back, I don't know why we didn't pay more attention to Brendan Fraiser (he's the hitchiker), I guess he looked too old.
    It's really cool you picked this movie! I'd love to have a summer like the one in the film even now. I must watch it again.

    Btw, in Spanish the film was called "Amigas para siempre", which means (girl)friends forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great movie, and I love the shirt you made. Also, the duck part - you crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG - I LOVED that movie too! Just too too good for words. I've got it on DVD so when I watch it it takes me right back to being a teenager!

    PS - love the t-shirt too! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen this movie! But it looks good...I love the outfit and two weekends ago I was in the store where we all bought our jersey :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Had to google a list of 1970s movies to even remember what was showing when I was a teenager -- didn't go to many in the theater. Of those, I can remember Star Wars, Superman, Rocky, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Would hate to think that any of those films define me! Although the patients' pajamas in OFOCN look comfy and easy to wash ... would not care to don Superman's cape.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I say Princess Bride? hahahahaha. LOVE your outfit. It's so perfect for the TSC! I just love the yellow striped fabric. so sunny and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Omg you just brought back some good memories. I loved Now and Then when I was younger, especially Christina Ricci! Love how you used the movie to inspire your project!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! Great shirt, I love the stripes! And you're seriously wearing jeans you have since high school?!?
    No defining movies of adolescence, I'm afraid... Mary Poppins was the movie I most watched as a primary schooler, though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Who are these boys you are kissing and doing coke with?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heathers, 1988. Best line: "They were sexist-beer-guzzling-jock-assholes. They had nothing left to offer the world but date-rape and AIDS jokes."

    ReplyDelete