Monday, June 11, 2012

Sew Weekly Challenge: Diamond Jubilee or "The Teatime Top"


Friends, the Royals throughout history have always been on the cutting edge of fashion - I could not decide on a single look to attempt for last week's challenge.  Eventually I decided to focus on what I would wear if we met over a pot of tea.  This was a good idea since it finally convinced me to tackle the lack of white blouses in my closet (yay closing wardrobe gaps!).


I used the Colette Sencha pattern, version 2, as the base and I chose some sheer white poly from the stash as my fabric.  I used every ounce of this fabric, so I am slowly but surely using up my stash.  It feels so good to see the piles of fabric finally disappearing! 


The best part of this photo shoot? Double stuffed Oreos.  Wait - that doesn't look like tea...


*Gasp!*
 

Tricky, tricky - that appears to be milk instead!
 

Soggy. Oreo. Goodness.
 

And then I choked on the cookie.  That's what I get for calling it a Teatime Top and drinking milk. 
 

 I used seven buttons instead of the normal five because I wanted to reduce the gaps and I knew this fabric would be all over the place without the buttons to anchor it.  I've also added a white camisole underneath (I've had it since 7th grade!), but added lace to the bottom to lengthen it a bit under the blouse.  It would have appeared as a midriff camisole and that's not exactly the look I am going for if I am sharing tea with someone who lives in a palace.


I love how the neckline tucks appear with the sheer fabric, and I also love how the poly drapes out of the tucks - I think it's a lovely effect.  I eliminated the facings and used bias tape around the neckline instead.  I ended up hand stitched the tape as well as the sleeves.  The sleeves are a bit messy because the poly didn't want to play nice, but it doesn't bother me too badly.
 

I used this opportunity to break out my Lela Rose wedges from Payless.  They are ridiculously high, but I love being a giantess. I just need to learn how to walk in them properly now :)
 

Overall, I love this blouse.  I paired it with jeans and sandals for a night out on Saturday and felt completely comfortable.  I think I am definitely moving into a back button up blouse phase, and I am loving it.  I think there is something so classic about a row of buttons on the back of a blouse, and plan on making LOTS of these for work/play.  Have you ever worked on the Sencha pattern?  What is your favorite version?

Friends, I hope you enjoyed watching the Diamond Jubilee coverage as much as I did!  What a fabulous celebration to witness!

Have an amazing day all - XOXO!

14 comments:

  1. LOOOOOOOOOVE this! You look like a princess!! It's seriously so ladylike and sweet. I have the Sencha pattern, but I've never made it. It was one of the first patterns I bought, but then I had misgivings about it and felt like I wouldn't look as cute as some of you bustier types do in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wouldn't I give to fit into my middle school clothes!!! The blouse looks so regal and delicate. You have a winner there. I especially love how it looks with the necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love everything about this post except those nasty hockey pucks that you call cookies. Since that is purely a matter of one person's taste buds against another person's taste buds, I hope you will forgive me. You look entirely ladylike and demure enough to take tea with any Queen you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave it to you to have Oreos and milk at teatime! Your blouse looks lovely and your raised pinky finger goes very nicely with it :)

    Maybe this is a silly concern, but do you have trouble buttoning the buttons on a back-buttoning blouse? I've always wondered...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sheerness of the blouse. It really accentuates all the wonderful darting and details of the blouse. Bravo lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! The sheer fabric worked perfectly for this pattern. I think this definitely has a 40's look to it. :]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg, thats a very elegant an chic blouse, perfect for the royal theme. loved the details !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I love this Sencha interpretation! Those are some awesome shoes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only reason she had Oreos and milk was because we did not have McVities milk chocolate caramel digestives, which are made with chocolate, caramel, and crack-cocaine. Whatever. It's still a lovely blouse to stand in the chilly rain to watch a boat parade and disappointing fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This blouse is loooovely! I wish I had more interesting things to say but I am mesmerised by the loveliness of this blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh pretty :) And yay for basics. I just finished a basic white top too (okay, not nearly as pretty as this though). The tucks! The sheerness! Hooray! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely blouse, I really like how the seams show in the sheer fabric, it's totally a feature!
    An Alice in Wonderland tea-set? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'm going crazy because I thought I posted here, but I need to let you know that I am in LOVE with that top!!! And those wedges!!!! I want them both!

    ReplyDelete