Saturday, July 7, 2012

30:60 Project 4: Denim Bowl

Friends, my sewing table has been a bit of a mess lately with all the things I keep piling on it.  I decided I would prefer to have everything in one place, instead of having several containers cluttering up my table.  Because I have not been throwing away any pieces of denim from old pairs of jeans, I decided it was time to try and make something out of that pile.

Organization + denim pieces = the round basket tutorial at Spoonful of Sugar


Gathering denim is quite the pain, take it from me!  I used old bed sheet scraps for the inside and some bird fabric for the binding.  I have enough bird fabric scraps left for a pincushion, and I do love being matchy-matchy :) Overall, it took about 1 1/2 hours to make - no time at all, really!  Just finished the third season of Buffy while making it - based on all of your comments, I am really looking forward to the rest of the seasons! 

Friends, how do you organize your sewing table? Let me know in the comments!

9 comments:

  1. My sewing table (which is actually my dining table) is NOT very organized, especially while I'm sewing, but I try to stay neat after-the-fact by storing tools in some tin cans I wrapped in my own fabric scraps. The cans hold scissors, fabric pens, seam rippers, etc. In my sewing cabinet I organize notions in small mason jars. But honestly, the majority of the time my things just float around on the floor and it's like a war zone in here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Organize"... what does this word mean? Heeheeheee... I have piles of crap EVERYWHERE. I do have a lovely notions basket thingy that stands on four legs, so I can tuck small notions inside there, but I basically have a separate pile for each project that's in the works stacked on a card table in my living room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so cute! I love mason jars for organizing. I use the short fat little 1/2 pint jars for buttons and miscellaneous little bits, and bigger ones for bias tape and zippers and stuff. Despite the attempt at organization though, my sewing room usually looks like a tornado hit it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the small stuff I have a huge painted wooden tray with sides which is subdivided into compartments. I found it in an antique shop (v.cheaply!) and it looks handmade, but I don't know what is was used for originally. I sew in the dining room, so if we've got friends round I can just pick it up and take everything upstairs. Followed by the piles of fabric, cutting mat, patterns etc etc...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I should also have said (sorry) love your fabric bowl! I shall definitely be making some of those.

      Delete
  5. I love that! I actually organize all of my sewing stuff in a fishing tackle box! Lots of small slots for everything you'd need.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lemme see...I have a travelling sewing box, a sewing box that sits on my desk, a vintage fold-out sewing side table, and the top drawer in my sewing desk. Plus I use a large glass measuring cup as a hold-all that sits on the table next to the couch for the hand-sewing I do at home. I'm massively over-organised! :-P

    For gathering denim, try using corded gathering. Much better for heavy fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable and inspired me to finally use some old denim I had lying around to make Bike Chain cozies. I'll send you the link once I take pics!

    ReplyDelete