Tuesday, August 7, 2012

30:60 and Sew Weekly: Project 12: Sunshine and Sleepytime Sorbetto

Friends, I really love when I can complete two challenges at once.  The Sew Weekly theme this week is "Yellow" and I happened to have some of this amazingly soft knit leftover from my Now and Then outfit.  I used almost every last bit of this fabric, but I was able to squeeze out a Sorbetto


I have another knit Sorbetto in my closet that I wear CONSTANTLY.  It comes off my body, goes into the laundry, gets washed, and goes back on my body.  A fabulously comfortable cycle, really.  I made that one out of a jersey pillowcase so I knew it was possible to make a knit Sorbetto out of an even smaller amount of fabric than usual.  I mainly wear the knit Sorbetto around the house and to sleep in, and I thought it was high time to add another to my collection.
 

I love how this version turned out!  I love the neck and armhole bindings, especially.  They match up in the front and back so very well.  I attached these using the Renfrew cuff and neck binding method - it saved so much time and hand stitching that I would have felt obligated to do.  Overall, this took me about three hours.  That's probably because I was distracted by the Olympics.  These things happen.


I've already started sleeping in this, so I can tell you that it is just as comfortable as I had hoped.  I see several more of these being made in my near future!
 

Hooray for comfortable scrap busting! 

Friends, have you ever made a knit Sorbetto?  Let me know below - I would love to see your versions!

9 comments:

  1. If you make a knit Sorbetto should you use a size smaller than what you would normally wear or your usual size? I want to make one! Love yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darling! I usually end up cutting out the same size because this pattern can sometimes be wonky on me, but I always take about an inch out of the sides because I like my shirts to be more form fitting. I definitely think you could cut out a size or two smaller, depending on the stretch of your fabric. I end up eliminating the dart altogether and it seems to work out just fine without it! I don't know why, but the dart in my cotton versions always ends up dangerously close to my armpit. I prefer making the knit versions since the dart is gone. I hope you try making a knit version for yourself!

      Delete
  2. I love scrap busting! I have never attempted the Sorbetto. But your's looks awesome!
    -Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'd never thought of making a knit Sorbetto before! What a great idea. Yours looks super comfy, and fun! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos always rock - I love it, especially that last one! I was just thinking I need more pajamas and such, the Sorbetto in knit is a perfect choice. And yay for completing 2 challenges in one! I've been following your progress so far but I read them on the subway where I get no signal so I haven't been able to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Sorbetto looks fabulous on you. I would also like to know if sizing is different when using a knit fabric on a pattern not made for knits...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nothy! I usually end up cutting out the same size (just to be safe because I'm paranoid), but I always take about an inch out of the sides to make it a bit more form fitting. I definitely think you could cut out a size or two smaller, depending on the stretch of your fabric. I eliminate the dart altogether and it seems to work out just fine without it! If you make your own version, please let me know!

      Delete
  6. Those. Stripes. I've never liked yellow or the Sorbetto, but I'll make an exception for this one! Fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3 hours in the making? Wow! You are one speedy seamstress. I'm totally jealous! I love the top too - I feel like yellow has not been in fashion recently but should be!

    ReplyDelete