Tuesday, August 21, 2012

30:60 Projects 21 & 22: UNDERGOODIES

I really like the word "undergoodies."  I'm pretty sure I just pulled a Shakespeare and made that up.  No matter what you call it, I have been focused on my lower half the last few days.  After seeing so many adventurous sewists create their own knickers, I thought it was high time for me to try it as well.

For Project 21, I whipped out McCall's 5651 (I am totally lame for needing a pattern for basic undies - I admit it - but my first "copied" pairs were a big ol' fail).  I made versions B, C, and D - I was feeling VERY adventurous, apparently!

Versions C and D were made with some scrap t-shirt scraps (same t-shirt that was used for cushioning my insoles) and some scrap lace that I got months and months ago.  You can see view B here as the fabulous Drama Queen knickers - these were pieced together at the side seams; the tank top didn't have the width that was needed to cover my bottom.  Not that I'm complaining - I totally love my bottom, especially when it has "Drama Queen" written across it.


 For Project 22, I was on a roll and looking for more comfortable undergoodies ... so I decided to make myself some more mini bloomers, as I love to wear mine while sleeping.  I made this set out of my trusty grey sheet set that has last me FOREVER.  With only a few scraps of the sheets left, I will make a patchwork seat cushion ... but that's a project for another day.


You can see where I needed to piece these together to cut out the pattern.  I'm glad I attempted to make these with scraps as I am wearing them right now and they are just as comfy as I had hoped!  Yay jersey sheets!


Friends, do you make your own undergoodies?  Do you have multiple sets of mini-bloomers floating around your home as well?  Let me know in the comments!

13 comments:

  1. Oooh undergoodies - totally agree, what a great word! Great looking makes - especially the bloomers - is that from a pattern or did you make it up? Totally need to have a go at some undergoodies myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! I got the pattern from the Colette Patterns blog - the Coletterie - here is the link: http://www.coletterie.com/colette-patterns-news/free-pattern-to-download-the-madeleine-mini-bloomers

      They are called the Madeline Mini Bloomers. I altered the pattern a little to have 1/2" elastic in the legs and 1" elastic around the waistband. I've followed the instructions that go with the pattern before, but using thicker elastic in both areas saves me a bit of time when I just want to curl up and be comfy, ya know?

      Let me know if you make some! I would love to see your version :)

      Delete
  2. I can't use your term "undergoodies" because it makes me think of the song "my goodies" by ciara. And I don't want that song stuck in my head!
    If you don't know it you can hear it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtC92pzp5vw
    anyway, nice work on your goodies, i mean undergoodies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally dancing at my desk. How have I never heard this song before?! And you're right - totally catchy - it might just be stuck in my head the rest of today :)

      Delete
  3. LOVE! Undergoodies are on my to do list, just seems so fun and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot recommend trying these enough! It was such a great way to use up knit scraps - I'm definitely going to be busting out more of my old t-shirts and making more undergoodies :)

      Delete
  4. if you just made up the word under goodies, you deserve a medal of some sort. BRILLIANT.

    those lacey numbers are my favorite kind... grr... must now begin to consider the idea of under goodies...

    hey! spellcheck just auto corrected to under goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've starting making bits of underwear, although I haven't blogged about it yet -- but I do like the term 'undergoodies' much more usable than lingerie. I may have to try the mini-bloomers -- those look remarkably comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Undergoodies. Love it! So much more fun-sounding than all the alternative words out there. :-)

    (PS Your Drama Queen undergoodies rock!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've coined a great term there! Undergoodies...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I neeeeeeeeeeed some fun undies! Damn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. :D I love the word undergoodies! I need to start using it!
    I have two sets of me made undergoodies and I love them! I need to dig out my jersey scraps again... I love your lacy looking ones - and the drama queen one is seriously awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Undergoodies is now my new favorite word ;p

    ReplyDelete