Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Jersey Knit Bow Blouse

Friends, I love making things out of knit fabric, but for the life of me, I couldn't understand why I had yet to discover a jersey knit bow blouse pattern.  I eventually decided to alter a pattern on my own and see what happened.  I used Simplicity 5645 from 1964 (view 5), some knit fabric I had gotten from Girl Charlee, and after a few hours, my experiment was complete. 


 I absolutely LOVE IT.  I wore it to work today, and it was comfortable, yet professional.  I can dress it up for the office, or dress it down for casual nights out.  It might be the most versatile piece in my wardrobe.


 In order to get the proper fit, I took it in about three inches on each side, took off an inch off of the shoulder, altered the facings and stitched these to encase the tie and neck seams, gathered the sleeve cap, added a cuff to the sleeve, and gathered lower edge of the sleeve.  I kept the darts as the pattern described, and basically followed all the essential directions for construction.  It took approximately three hours from start to finish, so I am definitely seeing more of these in my near future!


The only issue I have is that the cotton jersey is a bit thin, so I'm wearing a nude tank underneath.  This just adds to the snuggle factor - I am swathed in jersey wonderfulness.

Friends, have you ever altered a pattern for knits?  Let me know in the comments!

XOXO, Meg

19 comments:

  1. Bow and knit.. I'm sold... It's really cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knits are still quite new to me & in still figuring out what machine stitch to use :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your top and your skirt! and once again, i'm jealous of the amazing views out your window!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about to make a Vogue dress out of a doubleknit. I am so tired of wasting time making vogue patterns out of the recc fabric and have them end up awkwardly tight. Hopefully this solves the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meg, this is so cute!! I have not attempted a woven pattern using knits, but I like your results. I will charge fearlessly ahead ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! This is absolutely adorable! I love it with your skirt and NEW BANGS! I tried adapting a woven tank pattern for jersey, but by "adapted" I mean I just made it in jersey without realizing that I should have removed some width, so it's pretty saggy. I'll fix it eventually, but unpicking boatloads of serged seams isn't high on my to-do list, brat that I am!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous! And as always, your window view is stunning :) I've altered knit patterns, but only to take them in at the sides...you know, gotta make those leggings fit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh such a pretty print paired with that awesome mustard!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy cow, I was just thinking about a knit top with a bow this very day! Are you a mind-reader, or what! I'm absolutely going to copy you, if you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! I am totally going to try making one now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I love this so much and I'm excited that I'm not the only one with a love-affair for jersey! The two main patterns I adapted for jersey are http://asewingodyssey.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/mad-men-dress-challenge-all-done.html & http://asewingodyssey.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/overdue-unveiling-of-vogue-8728.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! It's like wearing pj's but you still look put together! Sneaky - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the look, love the bow, and love the fabric! Great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this has nothing to do with your blouse and it's construction, I'm sorry, but can I just say that you always have the happiest smiles in all your posts. It's so refreshing to see!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE that blouse! Just wanted to say thanks so much for your sweet comment on my sewing classes post, it was much appreciated. Zoe xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute! What a great idea. You look smashing, as always! :-9

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so great on you! What a comfy yet chic blouse, love it!

    ReplyDelete