Thursday, October 18, 2012

All About The Flannel

Friends, first of all, THANK YOU for all of your lovely comments on my UFO Red, White, and Blue dress!   It means quite a bit to me that you take the time to comment on my little blog here, especially when I've struggled to finish a project like that dress :)  Many hugs to you all!

Now that Autumn is officially here, and Winter is starting to creep in, I've pulled out the flannel stash because it is time to start sewing for warmth...

and by sewing for warmth I mean "sewing flannel tops with short sleeves."  Seriously, Meg, what were you thinking there?


I used Simplicity 1879 - Lisette Top that I love so much for this shirt, but I didn't have enough flannel for the longer sleeves!  I decided to just make it anyway and I can wear a sweater over it.


I used a fleece scrap for the front and back yoke facings, so this shirt is SNUGGLY.  The plaid doesn't match on the sleeves, but I don't really mind.  It fills a gap of comfortable and warm shirt that can be worn in public and not be embarrassing.



I've already worn it three times in the last three weeks so I'm thinking this might be a wardrobe staple for the next few months.  I wonder if I could style this to make it work appropriate?  Challenge accepted! 

Friends, do you sew flannel shirts to get you through the colder weather?

Have a great day, all!

PS.  Managed to figure out the Blogger issue - I ended up switching to Google Chrome and it's smooth sailing so far!

18 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you figured out the Blogger issue! Computer problems can be the bane of my existence. :)

    Seriously cute top, Miss Meg. Thanks for sharing it. I do quite like it with short sleeves, too. I do sew for comfort in the winter months, but as I live in the South, I do not have to go to the lengths you do.

    I've never sewn fleece before, but I'm contemplating adding it to the mix soon. Should I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I prefer my warm fabrics to be without long sleeves. Being of a "certain" age I tend to overheat so have some ventilation is wonderful. I love shawls for the same reason -- warmth without commitment....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shirt looks lovely and very comfortable! I'm a big fan of flannel so now i can sew I guess I can start making some comfortable things out of flannel that don't look like pyjamas :)

    I wonder though, when you wear someting with sleeves like these, doesn't it bunch up in the sleeves of the cardigan/sweater you wear over it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the short-sleeved flannel. It's almost an oxymoron, isn't it? Like cap-sleeved sweaters. :) It's adorable and looks warm. I definitely need to make something a bit warmer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's 91 outside here in TCOCC, so just looking at flannel is enough to make me break out into a sweat! The idea of being cold enough to want fuzziness against my skin is an elusive joy at this point, but I look forward to the day that it's cold enough to break out the flannel, fleece, and cardigans...but in the meantime, I'll just look at your pictures and dream!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, I'm working on a flannel shirt right now AND I'm wearing one as I type this! I don't mind looking like a lumberjack at all-- it's worth it to feel like you're wearing PJ's at work! Cute top! It's really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! It's going to look great when it's colder with a long-sleeve t-shirt underneath.
    I'm always amazed by that view!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL - I just posted about how I am NOT into long sleeves. That said, I do love soft snuggley fabrics like flannel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, I really like the blouse pattern, very cute! Way to go Meg. I don't need much flannel in my life... not as long as I'm living on the CA coast. I totally wear tanks with cardigans most of the winter. yep, that's "winter" wear for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I loves me some flannel! It's a necessity to get through the chilly Canadian winter! I love your top - so cute and feminine! I dare you to style it for work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It just realized i'm making the opposite of a short sleeved flannel top - a long sleeved top in a very lightweight sheer fabric. Will it ever get cold enough here for me to wear flannel or fleece?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to make everything in flannel (or 'brushed cotton' as us posh Brits call it) but it's pretty hard to find over here. :-( I have got some beautiful blue and cranberry check waiting to be made in to a dress but would like lots and lots more!
    Your top is adorable, and you look so cute as always. I always enjoy reading your blog and find it very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it Meg! That would qualify for a winter top in these parts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds as if it's already getting weekly wear that it's a real success - & so cute too! That is what I call a tasteful flannel & is perfectly appropriate to wear in public as a top.....my pink-with-purple-flowers flannel however I think will not be made into a shirt for public exposure but a pair of PJs. I think what I like about your fabric is that it's subtle, I also have some "high contrast" white/ navy plaid which is too loud for my tastes in tops..but PJs, perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, i love this pattern and flannel is giving it a whole new life- thts it, I need some flannel!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was looking on Haute Look this morning and saw this that you might like to see: http://www.hautelook.com/product/5988310 Look how trendy you are :) I guess short sleeve flannel will be popular this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I LOVE IT!!! That makes me feel uber stylish for a change :) This HauteLook thing is pretty awesome - I think I might have to become an email subscriber stat! Thanks for the heads up!

      Delete