Monday, October 8, 2012

UFO: Red, White, and Blue

Hooray for UnFinished October, or I would never have revisited this dress.  I originally started it for the Sew Weekly "Red, White, and Blue" Challenge in July, but it just never got finished.  I lusted over the pattern forever (New Look 6000), but I eventually became so exhausted by the fabric that I had to call it a day. After trudging through the instructions and dealing with pattern placement for eight hours this weekend, the dress was FINALLY finished:


 Holy cannoli, I'm so glad I spent so many hours on fabric placement, even if it did take forever.  The main problem occurred when the fabric on the left panel was on grain, and I cut the right panel on the bias in order to make the center design.  IT WAS A PAIN.  There's a tiny bit of weird rippling as I struggled to match up the designs, but once I accepted that as an inevitable part of sewing this dress, I was fine with it.


Because I had to work with bias and on grain pieces, the hem was a disaster.  I must have chopped off three inches, making this a very short cocktail dress instead of a work appropriate sheath.  I can definitely wear this in the winter, though, because it's made out of upholstery fabric and is extremely heavy.  It's lined with a white cotton sheet for a bit of protection against the upholstery fabric.  I am a delicate flower, after all.
 

 I am in love with the zipper and fabric placement.  IN LOVE.


 The collar on Version D calls for a button, but I decided not to put it on just yet. I'm afraid the button might distract from the obnoxiousness of the print ... and I am just in love with the print.  I knew I had to buy this when I came across it in a thrift store in Missouri, and while I originally wanted it to be pants, I really love it as a dress.


The fabric does have some issues from sitting in one place too long.  You can see a pale line stretching across part of the fabric, but I think it's well hidden by the edge of the white hounds tooth spots.

Overall, I love how the dress turned out and I'm glad I pushed through to completion.  Would I make this pattern again?  Definitely.  It's a comfortable basic sheath dress that offers a unique collar option that I love ... and it's a great pattern for using up upholstery material :)

OK!  One UFO down - at least eight more to go before I'll consider this month a success!  No pressure there...

Have a great evening, all!

37 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness — This dress is amazing! I think it may be favorite piece that I have ever seen on you. Love love love! Congratulations on finishing it; it was well worth all of that time. You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dress. It looks totally worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um... I LOVE this. It's perfect!!!!! I'm so glad you spent so much time matching the pattern-- totally worth it! The zipper is AMAZING! Love the print, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absotively stunning, Meg! This is a fabulous cocktail dress, even if it was originally meant for work. That houndstooth is totally worth it, and I'll be honest -- when I first glanced at the picture in my reader, I thought it was a line of space invaders down the front of the dress! I also love the collar, and agree that it's fine without the distracting button. Great UFO save!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHH-DORABLE! I love it! I must sew this pattern...it's just been languishing in my drawer. Your version definitely serves as inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is soooo flipping fabulous.....it looks like a Space Invaders dress! That pattern piecing is perfect. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, FLIP! I LOVE this dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too cute! Love your fabric choice and that collar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh,WOW! That pattern placement is just magical!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant, the pattern matching is amazing. I really looks like space invaders, if Richard Branson ever flies people into space this is absolutely what the cabin crew should be wearing with the trademark red stilettos and your glam up do, 'Genius' as my 5 year old nephew would say! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that print - that dress is truly inspired. I can imagine the headache of matching up the pattern though, bravo for sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love it. your pattern placement is perfect! i am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did a great job with the pattern placement, worth persevering with!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pattern placement - I call that pattern mastery - what an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. meg, you upholstered goddess!!! have you worn this out yet? do people spontaneously break into kitchy choregraohed 60s numbers??? this is AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maarveloouus! That is a perfect fabric/pattern combo and you should be really proud of your pattern placement. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is GORGEOUS, Meg! Oh man, I want one so bad now!!! Serious fabulousness.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Umm DEFINITELY worth the extra effort! This dress is so loud & awesome, I think it actually punched me in the face through the computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh such a fabulous dress! I would say all the extra work that made you crazy was totally worth it. I love that you embrace your curves! g

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome pattern matching! You're incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well done! I love the pattern matching too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning lady, stunning! This style suits you so well. And your fabric choice and the matching of it at the seams is all incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE this dress!!! The pattern placement really makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. this is fantastic!! amazing work on the placement!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! I don't think I'll ever get over houndstooth. The bigger the print, the better. Great job with pattern matching.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is Fab, you look like a mod ad for an extremely groovy airlines- get the drink cart ready! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, this is really awesome! Great job on the pattern matching and placement!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm amazed.
    This is my dream dress.
    I've never said this on a blog before, but GIMME!
    (oh, and some boobs to fill it out)

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG, you must be so pleased with yourself. This dress is awesome! Love the neckline and the fabric placement is just perfect. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  30. i love the bold print and the semi-mod aspect--a look you should play with more often!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, that is some awesome fabric, and I love the chevron effect! Well worth the pain, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, that is some awesome fabric, and I love the chevron effect! Well worth the pain, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Meg The Grand! I love your dress, your blog and your happy smile! Some serious pattern matching going on there, and a seriously wonderful dress.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Omg! This is freakin amazing! I just love the pattern matching! Well done!,

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! What a dress! You should be in Austin Powers!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sucess is right! Your dress is BEAUTIFUL....

    ReplyDelete