Thursday, November 8, 2012

Hanging Out With Knitters!

Friends, I am totally late to the game on this, but OMG KNITTERS ARE AWESOME.

Seriously.

Last weekend, the lovely Coppertop Doll and I went out on the town with Chicago Knitters Unite, a Meet-Up group that she had found.  Our destination:  Lorna's Laces.  We had a grand time watching dyeing demos and learning about all of the different kinds of yarns, and of course we didn't walk away empty-handed!


I picked up five skeins of the Shepherd Worsted in Waistcoat.  I had no pattern in mind, but since going through my books and Ravelry, I've settled on DROPS jumper with short sleeves.  I think it'll work for most of the year that way, and I can always add a long sleeve tee underneath for extra coverage if I need.


I also picked up a skein of the Helen's Lace, which really feels like heaven.  I smushed my face in it and knew it needed to be mine.


We saw this shawl made up while on the tour, and it was so breathtaking that I cannot wait to make one of my own.  Should I be worried that it's lace because I'm a complete beginner?  Probably, but with all the other projects I am currently queuing, this will get pushed to the back burner.


Sadly, we were both so engrossed with feeling things and watching the demos that we didn't get any pictures together!  We'll be getting together again soon and will definitely take some knitting photos then :)

On Sunday, I had the fantastic opportunity to run a 5K with the awesomesauce knitter, Liz of Zilredloh.  When we went to pick up our packets on Saturday, she showed me the MOST GORGEOUS color of yarn ever, as well as her new project.  I'm not giving out any more details other than it's going to be wonderful and I'm probably going to steal it from her.  

Back to the 5K (photos by the marvelous Felix, Liz's husband who was our cheering section)  

OK.  So Liz is super awesome, and definitely a perfect running buddy because we run the exact same pace. She also makes me laugh when she puts her foot next to mine because OMG my feet are ridiculous next to hers.  I feel like a giant.  MEG SMASH.


It was cold, friends.  My chest was hurting from breathing the cold air, my butt and toes were frozen solid, and I seriously just wanted to walk the whole thing.   Having another person beside you makes you want to keep going, and so we ran most of the way and Liz is a total rock star.  My doctor doesn't think running long distances is very good for me because I kept hurting myself, but we ran this and I wasn't feeling any normal amounts of pain in my hip.  I can definitely see myself running more 5Ks with Liz (and Felix, too!!!) one of these days ... preferably when it's a little warmer.


The most exciting part of the race is the chocolate at the end.  When I ran this race once before, THEY RAN OUT OF CHOCOLATE BEFORE I FINISHED AND I WAS PISSED.  This time was much better.  I got fondue, fruit, and hot chocolate.  Winning.


Liz, it was great running with you, and we should definitely plan on another race together in the future!

Well friends, I am off to a knit night in the city - always a fabulous time!  I am casting on my first pair of socks - squee!!!

This knitting thing is totally addicting :)

XOXO,
Meg

24 comments:

  1. OMG, I freakin love your posts! Every day I look forward to a Meg post brighten my day. That yarn is delicious and I adore the deep teal colour. I cannot wait to see both projects.

    You and Liz are TOTAL ROCK STARS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous! You and Liz are some of my favorite crafty bloggers, I wish I got to hang out too!! I'm glad you're having a good week, and welcome to the knitting bandwagon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you've caught the knitting bug! Just wait until your yarn stash grows larger than your fabrics stash - things can get out of hand fast but who can resist delicious yarn?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I keep seeing that delicious teal color pop up everywhere. I am taking it as a sign to make my next knitting project the exact same color.

    I'm so glad you're getting on with knitting. Yay! Next time I visit Chi-town, all of us will have to have a knit-gab sesh :) And you can totally do lace! It's not hard - it's ridiculously fun :D

    Congrats on completing the 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lace is totally not hard! it is nice to pick a lace project that has a pattern that is somehow memorize-able. But even if it isn't, it's still worth it to have to look at a pattern to get such a fancy looking result! The stitch abbreviations will look funny at first, but there are so many resources out there for figuring out pretty quickly what you have to do. it is all mechanical! i think getting something to fit is the tricky part. lacy blankets or scarves - so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knitterly folk are, certainly, my favorite folk. It only gets more out of control from this point forward. :-) you can totally take-on lace. It's like way easier than double point needles. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with LLBB 100% about knitting lace! Go for it!

    In all serious, the coldest I have ever been in my entire life was on a 5k run along Lake Michigan on a June morning a few years ago. I nearly died of hypothermia. In June. Congrats on the run! I hope you aren't held back by injury moving forward - 5k can be a fun distance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the 5k! And I was just thinking about knitting a pair of mittens today so your knitting post is timely! Might have to go to the store tomorrow to buy yarn to match the coat I'm sewing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous yarn you've got there, I'm so jealous! And running 5k with lovely Liz sounds bearable...I can't believe the chocolate goodness you get at the end! So worth it ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am even later than you to the knit-o-party, but I'm right behind you on the bandwagon!

    What a fabulous yarntastic haul! Good for you. That teal should look absolutely great with your hair.

    And here's a big salute to you and Liz for completing the 5K! Ya'll are two of my favorites in BlogLand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw that you guys ran the race on Liz's blog, congrats!! I'm so so impressed, I can't even tell you. And you just were super cute too!

    The yarn looks yummy, such a pretty color on the worsted. Totally don't be scared of lace. It's knits, purls, k2tog and YO mostly. That's lace. You'll get the hang of it in no time! Yay for you jumping right into knitting, look at you go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those colours are amazing. I love the green, it's that perfect red head colour! I can't wait to see that sweater made up and you wearing it.
    I envy everyone who finishes a knitted garment as I have started so many and never finished them apart from simple rectangular scarves.
    Well done on your race, Meg. I love it when you share running stories. Who would not run for chocolate fondue at the finish line. I hope this tend finds its way over to the UK soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to squish my face into that yarn too! Chocolate at the end of the run, perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummm chocolate.... How fun to run with a friend and the yarns are adorable

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that Lorna's Laces yarn tour sounds marvelous! I'm completely jealous. Your yarn is fabulous and wonderful color. Yea you on the running the entire 5k, I wish we had a chocolate race. The best one I've done so far? See Jane Run - champagne at the end! Yea baby! g

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are the MAIN reason I wish I lived in the windy city!! You are awesome, dude!! I love seeing you and Liz hang out! Congrats on running, AND FINISHING, the race!! You totally earned that chocolate treat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Omg that teal colour is goooooorgeous!

    Re: knitting lace. - everything in knitting is just a combination of knits and purls with a few extra little bits. If you can read a pattern, you can knit it. Have someone show you how to use a lifeline, if you dont know already. Basically it just means you thread a length of contrast yarn through your stitches every so often so that if you make a mistake you can rip one section back more easily instead of ripping it all out and starting again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay knitting! I've been doing hats like crazy as Christmas gifts. Good luck on the socks/shawl/undecided pattern! I'm so proud of you keeping up your running, especially in such cold weather...of course, chocolate is a great bribe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well done you on the 5k, it looks so cold!! But am jealous you get chocolate fondue at the finish!!! That is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. congrats on the 5K and on not getting hurt :-)
    and knitting is awesome, and addictive, and i almost lost my job once for knitting under the table at a conference. so, watch out for that...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am seriously jealous of your Lorna's Laces tour. I just started knitting up my first ever skein from them and I am seriously in love. It's the silkiest yarn I've ever used and my shawlette is coming out great. I completely agree - knitting (and knitters) are the best! But crocheters can be pretty cool too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yarn is so much fun!!!!! I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that while you were at knit night last Thursday... I was having a baby. WHOA. Just a few short days after our adventure at Lorna's!!! Can't wait to see your sweater and socks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yarn is so much fun!!!!! I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that while you were at knit night last Thursday... I was having a baby. WHOA. Just a few short days after our adventure at Lorna's!!! Can't wait to see your sweater and socks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is SO FUN! Knitting? Novelty 5Ks? CHOCOLATE?? Sign me up!

    ReplyDelete