Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Grand Reveal


Friends!!  I have missed you so very much!  It feels like it has been forever since we've chatted, but I am excited to say that my radio silence is coming to an end.  This past weekend, we celebrated Christmas with the Grand family and I am finally able to show you the gifts I made!

For Mama Grand, a poinsettia brooch using the tutorial from Lil Fish Studios.  It's seriously adorable, and I used some metallic thread and a button from my stash for the decoration.


For my four nieces, I broke out the American Girl patterns in my stash and went to town with some scrap fleece...


Oh yes, those are totally Pittsburgh Steelers robes.  

For my niece, S, whose Mom also went to BGSU and who was wearing a BGSU sweatshirt the last time I saw her, I made her AG a hoodie out of an old homecoming t-shirt for her upcoming birthday.  I decided to make a blue skirt out of scrap fabric to complete the ensemble.


I might be making more of these out of old t-shirts very soon because this turned out so well.  I was a complete skeptic, but it's sporty and fabulous all at the same time.


I especially love that the front and back designs of my tee fit on the hoodie perfectly.  I already have other t-shirts in mind for the other nieces' birthdays.


To pair with their robes (or hoodie as college students do), each of the nieces also got a pajama set.  I used some strawberry flannel from the stash, as well as some plaid flannel scraps that had been passed onto me from Mama Grand.  


S gets the blue plaid since she isn't a huge fan of pink, but the other nieces will love the sparkles, berries, and color (respectively).  I used buttons from the stash, but did not make buttonholes as the directions suggested.  Instead, I used up some snaps from the stash to make these a little bit easier for the little fingers.


Epic plaid matching on a very tiny scale.

For my sister, Kitty, I knit her a Marian cowl using Malabrigo Rasta.  It's a lovely teal color that she wears often, so I'm excited for her to open it when she gets to the Grand house for Christmas.


And finally, Mama Grand's major gift, the gift that kept me from you for so long...


Confession: I did not put together this quilt top.  My Grandmother on Mama Grand's side had put the majority of it together and didn't finish it before moving into the nursing home.  I finished the top with 10 hexagons and gained a whole new appreciation for quilters in the process!  I also had to do quite a few repairs after washing the quilt top on the delicate cycle.  Wowee - I don't know how old this fabric is, but it might be best to avoid the washer in the future.  


My awesome friend, Juliet, was my mentor during all of this.  She gave me tutorials and tips, scanned pages from books, and I truly could not have done this without her.  She advised me to tie the quilt with embroidery thread since that was easiest, and also advised me to get a snuggly back since that is what Mama Grand would be sitting against.  I chose a lovely green flannel and tied with yellow embroidery thread since Mama Grand loves yellow.  I have to give MAJOR CREDIT to Rob, who sat on the floor with me for hours while I tied the quilt together.  We put on My Big Fat Greek Wedding and got to work.  He was a major help on these throws and I could not have finished these without his assistance.


I bound the edges with strips of an old bed sheet from the scrap bag, and I really love how the greens look together and paired with the colors of the hexagons.  So much color makes me happy :)

Thankfully, Mama Grand loved it, too...


Dad loved his throw as well.  There may have been a little bit of emotion all around when I found out that the yellow hankie in the middle was my Grandma Grand's favorite.  The throw prompted some great moments of story telling and sharing, and I was so glad that I finally committed to making this idea concrete.


Of course, there were a few non handmade gifts...

like a too small Steelers wrestling mask...


... a gorgeous bowl and a Steelers poncho.  We had bought these things while on the cruise this summer and I was so excited to finally pass them to my parents!


We capped off the gift giving weekend with White Christmas and snuggling, as is appropriate when you have a queen sized quilt with flannel backing :)


Thank you again to the lovely Juliet for being a HUGE help to me the last few weeks, also to Rob for helping  to bring these projects to completion, and thank you to all of you for your patience and understanding while I quietly worked on all of these gifts.  More to come very soon!

Friends, tell me what you've been doing!  I am working on catching up to my Reader, and I am eager to see what you are doing for the holidays :)

Sending you all my hugs,
Meg

22 comments:

  1. Meg this is amazing! I can't believe that you finished that quilt, what an arduous task. But it looks BEAUTIFUL! I think your readers will forgive you for your absence, as this all is a job well done :)

    -Sara, Road to the Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epic gift-giving. You're my hero! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Meg, you did a great job with all your gift making! That quilt is incredible and I love that you were able to finish it off. I bet your nieces look so adorable in their PJs too - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is all amazing, you are so thoughtful! i love the doll clothes, the quilts, everything. beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! you've been incredibly busy! Congrats on finishing it all, everything looks great! I'm so glad I could help with your quilting projects, Claire would be super proud!!

    You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh wonderful presents and time spent with your loved ones.. Precious moments x

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow - your productivity is amazing! well done meg. that quilt is totally gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awe. I got a little teary-eyed just reading about your Grandma Grand's quilt, and I don't even know her! These turned out beautifully. Really, really gorgeous, Meg.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Grand Reveal. Hehe. Love a good pun!

    What an amazing selection of handmade goodies! I love the brooch and that quilt is amazing, what a wonderful heirloom and such a labour of love. I hope the rest of your Christmas is truly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THE DOLL CLOTHES! THE MINI HOODIE! THE PJs! ACK! Soooo cute! It makes me want to sew doll clothes and I have no reason to! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Early Christmas!! And the handmade gifts are awesome! I'm truly impressive by what you accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Meg, you're amazing! I'm blown away by the quilts and all the tiny AG clothes. What beautiful gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meg - this is fabulous! I love it all. :-) The quilt and the throw are divine - so pretty to look at, and with such lovely stories behind them.

    (And if you ever want to make some strawberrie PJ's in my size, I wouldn't say no. They are simply adorable! ;-p )

    Sounds like you had a lovely day with the Grands. Happy Christmas! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Heavens to Betsy, girl! My jaw dropped open when I saw the spectacular quilt you made Mama Grand! I bet there was some weepiness with all your handmade goodies! Please come and make American Girl doll clothes for my wee one! She would think you are the best Auntie ever - LOL!

    Merry, merry Christmas, darling Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow- do you set the bar high! So far I've bought my Father a bag of dress socks and my mother 4 new spatulas. Um, but it's the thought that counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! Where in the heck did you find the time to make all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I can't believe how much you made! You're such a great auntie/daughter/granddaughter! That quilt is amazing! I really can't get over how much you look like your mom, btw! Both super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so good, Meg!! I love all of your gifts! Especially Mama Grand's quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think you win for being the best gifter this year! You are so thoughtful and those quilts are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow what wonderful presents!! i'm always impressed with your creativity and craftsmanship but this takes the cake....well done lady, and i hope your holiday was marvy!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are the best! And here I thought I was good making a little Dora the Explorer purse and a couple of scarves! :) Beautiful work. You have one lucky family.

    ReplyDelete