Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Optical Illusion Renfrew

Friends, I am just now learning how incredibly difficult it is to sew garments when half of your sewing instruments are packed ... somewhere.  (Really must learn to label boxes.  Already misplaced my alarm clock.)  In spite of all this, I managed to finish a Renfrew top!  


I bought this fabric on my last fabric excursion of 2012 (with the marvelous Michelle, of course).  It's a thick poly knit, and since I only had about a yard to work with, I decided a Renfrew was in order.  I came across some problems with the waistband and sleeve cuffs, as I was nearly out of fabric at that point.  I can still flex like a boss, even if the sleeves are a bit tighter than I would like.


I call this my Optical Illusion Renfrew because I feel like my chest completely disappears in this print.  I looked in the mirror and said, "WHOA.  This shirt is a minimizer."


Even if my chest looks significantly smaller, I still like this top.  Now to just find a box/suitcase to throw it into...


Friends, do you love the Renfrew pattern as much as I do?  I think this might be my fifth one - with many more to come, I'm sure!

Thanks for bearing with me as I pack up my goods here.  I'm in that awkward stage between "crap, I've run out of boxes" and "is it time to book the movers yet?"

Much love to you all!!

XOXO,
Meg

18 comments:

  1. Nice print, and nice new Renfrew. I must confess I'm one of those who does not love this pattern. I've only tried it once but it came out very, very odd on me. Maybe it's time to give it another go. Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the move! I am finally finally 2 weeks from closing on our new house. I have so much sewing stuff packed and yet I feel like there is still a ton just floating around in random half packed boxes. Have you thought about how you want to lay our your new sewing space?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute top, Meg. One can never have too many fun t-shirts. I like your hair like that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it- this will jazz up so many ensembles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaaw, you look so cute sitting on your suitcase! Love this Renfrew and it's magical ability to make 'things' disappear ;o) YOu know I'm a huge fan of the Renfrew, I think I've made about 7 now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cute. and are those green glittery ugg boots? i am the only sewist anywhere who doesn't have the renfrew pattern. i always struggle to find cute knits. altho after my first goldhawk rd trip at the weekend i may be revising that slightly - lots of fab knits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how is that print doing that?! THAT PRINT CAME FROM THE FUTURE, YO.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my name is puu, and i am a renfrew addict. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome. I know what you mean about sewing and moving, we've just moved into our place 3 weeks ago after 6month wait and I've just unpacked my fabric today. Will have to be packed back before I get to decorate the sewing room *sigh* Gotta love a renfrew though! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have yet to make any of her patterns. It leaves me with a terrible, terrible guilt. Alas. What in the world are you wearing on your feet, Meg?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a RTW wrap dress in that exact fabric hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a woman of moderate bosom, I tend to go for the opposite effect. :-D I haven't made this pattern yet. I still need to get past my aversion toward working with stretch knits.... I might need a shove.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute Renfrew and good for you sewing during a move (wow)! Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, this is so cute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks sooooo good, and your hair is cute! Ugh, every time I see a Renfrew I remember I need to actually make one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so cute! Love it! I hope all the moving prep is going well, and just think soon it will be behind you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look so cute in this!! Awesome print and adorable pictures. Good luck with the rest of the moving/packing/unpacking process. We're rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so cute, it turned out really well! I also think it would look great tucked into a solid-colored high waist skirt :)

    ReplyDelete