Tuesday, February 19, 2013

UFO to FO: The Woody's Round-Up Sweatshirt Dress

Friends, I was packing boxes on Sunday when I came across my sewing mojo hiding in the bottom of a closet.  I completely blame Tasha, who reminded me that I had this fabulous fabric when we found Western style shirts at the Vintage Garage.  When I returned home and began cleaning, the fabric was there waiting for me.  The pieces laid around the room in various states of pinning and progress.  Gross.  Stop mocking me with your UFO-ness, sweatshirt dress.  I AM PACKING.


I originally picked up this amazing sweatshirt fabric in the Vogue Fabrics remnant pile while Lauren was visiting town.   I ravaged the store until I found every single piece because I knew I wanted a sweatshirt dress.  What could be more snuggly than an XL sweatshirt?  A sweatshirt dress with sweater tights and some boots.  This is what my brain was telling me, and I was definitely digging it.  You go, brain - well done. One problem: the fabric wasn't in the best of shape.  There were some interesting discolorations that I needed to work around, and I got as far as cutting out the pattern (Built by Wendy: Sew U Home Stretch for the main body and added Renfrew sleeves) before I gave up.  

Now, as I was being taunted with it's incomplete state, it was time to buckle down and finish, cowboy.  Cowgirl?  CowMeg?  We're just going to go with it here.


I am only sad that it took me so long to finish this because it is EXACTLY the level of comfort and warmth that I require to live in Chicago during winter.  


I used the Built By Wendy: Home Stretch dress bodice and skirt, and then added the hood from the book for that extra bit of warmth.  Best decision ever?  Maybe.   It fits over my messy bun perfectly.  I love that messy buns are in style because then I can be super lazy getting ready in the morning and everyone at work will think I actually tried.  #Winning


Because the fabric doesn't have a great amount of stretch to it, I added a zipper down the left side. The zipper makes the fabric a bit ripply and strange, so I added the belt to clamp it down.  I think the belt breaks up the pattern a bit as well - it looks as though it's missing something when I take the belt off.  This is why I need a huge leather belt with an obnoxious belt buckle on it.  I think I have my grandfather's belt buckle with two pigs on it and the words "Makin' Bacon" in a box somewhere - maybe I'll need to find that.  Ah, memories...


I didn't even bother hemming it.  It rolls right up at the bottom, so I just let it be.  I'm surprised at how much length I managed to get out of the skirt pieces, because there wasn't much to the bits and pieces from the pile at Vogue!  I had anticipated it being tunic length, but dress length works just as well ... especially when I'm riding a pony.  Whoa, Bullseye!!  


Or looping an unruly chair.  These are important things to learn when getting ready to move.  Teach that chair a lesson, y'all!


PS.  I love Toy Story.  Having my picture taken with Woody and Jessie was one of the highlights of 2012.

Believe it or not, this was the cleanest area of the apartment.  The rest is in complete chaos - who knew moving could be so crazy?  We're getting down to the last week and a half before I pack this stuff into a truck, so I've been doing laundry, checking Internet installation prices, and updating my address where necessary.  I've only cried once - I'm thinking this is a victory.

Friends!  Thanks for being so patient with me as I work through the madness of moving.  I appreciate all of your lovely notes and comments more than you could know.  Stay warm where you are, and I will chat with you soon!

XOXO,
CowMeg

25 comments:

  1. I love it! Amazing fabric! And I agree, it works really well with the belt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy! Fab dress and lovely to see that you've managed to make anything at all whilst doing all the mad moving stuff. Good luck with the move :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can vouch for the awesomeness of this outfit. Great seeing you last night!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT. i must haz sweatshirt dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing!! Sweatshirt dresses are ALWAYS welcome in the winter - and with included cowboys? BE STILL MY COUNTRY HEART.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I need a sweater dress now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so excited when I saw a new post from you in my reader, because I miss your fabulous makes and brilliant humour. And you more than fulfilled my expectations. This is glorious and I can't think of anyone who'd rock this as well as you do.

    Good luck with the rest of the move. We're cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super jealous, I want a cowboy dress! and now I have the 'woodys round up' song stuck in my head (again, as it was last stuck in my head all of two days ago)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a crazy fun dress!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you look like an ad for urban outfitters!!! rassle, them boxes, girl. can't wait to see the new homestead :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel like post-project photoshoots with meg would be the best of times. Just a feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. CowMeg, you are darling. Love the sweatshirt dress. Happy moving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The hood was a BRILLIANT idea! And, a belt buckle would totally complete this. I am also a HUGE toy story fan. I had one of the Woody dolls on my bed for the longest time... but it got awkward into my advanced teenage years when the, "Michelle's taking her Woody to bed" jokes started.....yeah. :-D He and Buzz are totally in my parents' attic; playing with Arlo, the Argentinian Soccer playing cabbage patch, and my stuffed music box turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha! You're the silliest :) It's so very cute! Why can't I find printed sweatshirt fabric, gosh durnit?

    ReplyDelete
  15. you are the rootinist, tootinist cowmeg that ever roped a chair.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh that belt really brings it all together -- what a totally awesome dress! That hood is a great detail and your poses just crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So good to see you posting and doing your 'Crazy Meg' stuff. I love it. I've missed you. I do hope the move goes off smoothly and it's exactly what you and your Mister need. Take care of you.

    By the way - the dress is fun, fun, fun!! g

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is awesome! i could totally use a sweatshirt dress!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love love love! YAY I'm so glad you were inspired to finish it! I think it came out great, and the belt totally makes the whole thing. Yippee ki yo ki yay!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What is your new neighborhood?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thats adorable- Bo Peep had better seriously watch her back.....

    ReplyDelete
  22. ooohh that's sooo cute!!!!! (and i'm with you on the messy bun thing, love it!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. How did I miss this post?? You are so cute. This look is insanely perfect from head to toe. The belt was a great idea. I adore the hood, and your photos are adorable and fun as always. Continued good luck with the moving process!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hehe! Looks like you are having all shades of fun in your new dress! That fabric is amazing, I'm glad you were able to break up the packing drudgery to do some fun sewing. Good luck with the move xx

    ReplyDelete