Tuesday, April 23, 2013

NYC: The City That Never Sleeps...

...or never lets me leave without buying fabric.  Amirite or amirite?

Friends, one month ago today, I was able to go on an adventure with the fabulous Mama Grand and my sister, Kitty Grand.  


(The family resemblance is STRONG, you guys.)



We were there to celebrate Mama Grand's birthday, and we had the chance to see many museums, tourist spots, and shady street vendors.  (I got the best bag in the whole world for $11.  Best.  Deal.  Ever.)



All in all, a great trip with my loved ones.

Once Mama Grand departed for the airport, and Kitty Grand had made her way to the bus, it was time for some fabric shopping.  Luckily, I had some AWESOME companions.

The awesome Amanda of Sewin' in the Rain, Oona, and Clio helped me navigate the wet streets of NYC with all of my luggage AND stuff fabric into already tight spaces.  True kindred spirits, y'all.


(I promise I will bring emptier suitcases next time.  We will buy out Paron's discount wall, I swear it!)

I did get some lovely goodies while I was traversing through the shops...

THIS AWESOME MULTI COLOR ZIPPER OF WONDER.


It was honestly the most expensive zipper I have ever purchased, but I already have a project in mind and it's going to be FANTASTIC.  

While I was trying to avoid knits, I could not resist this blue leaved delight:


The funky Monarch Butterfly fabric has a microsuede feel to it, and I could not help but picture it as a pencil skirt.  Look out, world!

Of course, there is one piece of fabric that is not pictured here, and that was a piece chosen by Miss Oona herself at Mood Fabrics.  To give you a hint, the gentleman cutting it named the fabric "Alien Seafoam."  IT'S SO INCREDIBLE.


Friends, I'm starting to get back into the sewing of things.  I managed to get most of the apartment unpacked and cleaned yesterday (HUZZAH), and I'm looking forward to putting in some quality time with my machine as the weekend approaches.  I do have a question for all of you lovelies: how do you go about taking pictures if you are on your own?  I invested in a gorillapod (the orange one - are we surprised?), but I don't know if I should be using the self timer on my camera or invest in a camera that I can operate via remote.  As you can tell, I am not technically inclined (I will consider this week a victory if I buy the correct cords for my TV), so if you have any suggestions, I would oh-so-greatly appreciate it!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of your kind words on my last post.  It wasn't easy to write, and it's always strange to decide what to put on the blog and what should be left out.  I feel so incredibly lucky to be able to call you my friends, and I appreciate all of your thoughts, comments, and emails so much.  You guys made me cry, but in a good, happy, "I am so fortunate to have these people in my life" kind of way.  I am sending you all hugs, wherever you are, to say thanks for being my friend.

This song is for you lovelies:


XOXO,
Meg




31 comments:

  1. are you sure 'Mama' didn't just clone herself a couple of times? that is some strong family resemblance!

    Have a play with the timer settings on your camera and see how you get on, I don't get on with self timer stops due to my inability to count to ten, so I forked out for a little remote - I like it, it makes me feel like a spy for some reason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously! Once I saw a picture of my oldest sister (not pictured here), and I said, "I don't remember wearing that dress..." and Mama Grand said, "THAT'S NOT YOU."

      I'll definitely start playing around with the timer settings, but a remote sounds oh so tempting!! Yay for feeling like a ninja spy :)

      Delete
  2. The Grand babes take Manhattan!!! I'm so glad you had a great time! I'm still so sorry I missed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will meet soon - it is our destiny!!

      Delete
  3. Wow, you guys really do look alike! I'm so glad you had a nice trip! Hope to meet up with you in real life one of these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are definitely going to need to get together and make lots of silly face pictures. I think these would be epic and delightful.

      Delete
  4. There's been a Golden Girls marathon running on LOGO, and I can't help myself. I've seen every episode multiple times, but they never get old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I missed having TV for a reason! LOVE me some Estelle Getty. LOVE HER.

      Delete
  5. What a fun trip!! That zipper is awesome, and I can't wait to see how you use it.
    As for pics, I had other people take my photo (my sister) until I got a dslr, a full size tri-pod and a remote. The remote is awesome. I set the camera to the 2-second remote setting, and it's just enough time to raise your arm, press the remote button, and then put your arm down in a normal position before the photo is taken. And of course I can take several shots before walking back to the camera to view them.
    I tried using the timer on my point and shoot camera, but it was a tiresome event, walking back to the camera for every single shot.
    Hope you find a reasonable solution to your camera troubles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This remote idea is sounding better and better. When I've used the self-timer in the past, my camera goes out of focus, or I am moving, or I look all flustered and weird. While I've had friends offer to take photos for me, I want to be able to post regularly without bugging those volunteers every time.

      Delete
  6. I've always used a full-sized tripod and my camera's self-timer—it has a feature that will take 3 pictures after 10 seconds, with a few seconds in between each picture allowing me to adjust my pose. Not the easiest process, but it works! Enjoy your new space :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 pictures in 10 seconds? That sounds like a marvelous feature! Currently, mine takes one photo when the timer is up, so 3 would be a welcome change. Thanks for the suggestion about a full size tripod! My little gorillapod is handy, but I think I might need to add more height eventually.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, on my non-fancy camera it is called "burst" mode and it under the self-timer menu as "custom." I still make them look meh, but if I could hold still for 10 seconds...

      Delete
  7. I agree with both you and the other commenters - that is some family resemblance! :-) You all look like you had a swell time, I must say.

    About the camera - I take almost all of my photos myself, and I either use a tiny gorilla-ish tripod or my big one. The camera I use have a great setting which allows me to set the timing and number of photos myself. My favorite is 6 sek countdown, and then it takes five pics in a row. Although I must say - those remotes looks very practical! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you can set the timing and the number of photos - that is BRILLIANT! I will probably need to invest in a new camera eventually - mine doesn't have many features, but I guess that's what happens when you buy a camera because it is orange - whoops!

      Delete
  8. Wow, you have some strong genes! I use a regular tripod (I have a gorilla-pod, should use it more often!) and a self-timer, it works great for me although I end up with dozens of unusable photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I end up with unusable photos, too - and I think that will be okay for now, but I get annoyed trying to see if photos are any good on the camera - they seem to become more fuzzy on my laptop screen, and it's a pain to switch back and forth. I think I might eventually need a regular tripod - stacking books for the gorillapod is a bit of an adventure!

      Delete
  9. You are right! New York is the city that doesn't let you leave without buying fabric.

    I understand the pain of carrying around your suitcases while in the city. I go through the same thing every time I visit.

    I can't wait to see this seafoam fabric you're keeping under wraps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The project I am using the seafoam fabric for reminds me of you and some of your recent posts :) That's all I'm saying about that - cannot wait to show you!

      Delete
  10. OH MEG! I'm so excited by your trip as we'll be here next month! ALL THE WAY FROM FREAKING MELBOURNE! Wish we were visiting the same time as you now though! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STOP OMG STOP! How I wish we were visiting at the same time!!! Have such a MARVELOUS visit - it's going to be so exciting to see photos of you in that awesome city!!

      Delete
  11. Wow, the family resemblance is definitely strong, Meg! It was so great to finally meet you last month (wow, time flies). Thanks for sharing that photo, yay! Can't wait to see what you make with the fabric and the zipper - the image of you darting around the aisle to grab that zipper will always stick with me. Classic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I went back for that zipper lol! I keep petting it and saying "soooooon, sooooon." Thank you SO MUCH for taking time out of your day and hanging out with me!! It was marvelous to meet you and see your lovely coat in person. Such a magnificent piece!

      Delete
  12. wow - you are definitely all from the same family! i have a gorilla pod - you know you can wrap it around the back of a chair or something?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe it's a good thing that the last time I went to NYC, I wasn't into sewing yet...that knit looks so fun, though, and I'm intrigued by this zipper. You and your sister could seriously be twins!

    I use the timer function when Mr. Cation isn't around, and let me tell you, it is freaking annoying. Running back and forth, taking ten times as many pictures just to get one in focus, etc etc. Invest in a remote if you can! I would, but thankfully it doesn't come up too often. Hmmm, maybe I can train Walnut to take pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an exciting visit! Glad all is going well> x x x

    ReplyDelete
  15. First and foremost, Meg dahlink, you are FABULOUS!! It is so good to see you back blogging and clearly inspired :) Your lovely Mama and sister are so cute and ya'll look like CLONES of each other - lucky you!!! Sending you ((HUGS)) from mah corner of tha world :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you have so much fun! It's always funny to see sewing blogger meetups - it feels kind of like those mish-mash cartoons where the Jetsons meet the Flinstones, you know? Worlds colliding.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a full size tripod that my sister gave me. It's been invaluable and can pack up pretty small. You can get them pretty cheap off Amazon. I'd recommend the investment. Those gorilla pods tend to work less well if you have a big, heavy SLR. Intrigued to hear about the three photos in ten seconds feature - I wonder if my camera has that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounds like the loveliest trip!
    I have a remote for my big camera, but mostly use my compact with self-timer. Some cameras can do multiple shots with the self-timer, which is totally a feater which I'm going to look out for when I buy my next camera!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gosh I am behind in my reading! But it is so good to see your smiling face again. Or in this case several similar smiling faces! Can't wait to see what you make with your haul.

    ReplyDelete