Monday, July 15, 2013

The Colette Truffle Dress aka Great Gatsby Party Dress!

FRIENDS!  It's been entirely too long since we've chatted.  June was sheer craziness. My parents came and visited for eight days (stayed downtown, but I saw them almost every day), and then I had a house guest for ten days ... so my days were quite full of company!  I've also been working to enjoy the Chicago summer to its absolute fullest, meaning I am hanging out with my friends and a handsome gent as often as possible.
 
Thankfully, I am now working to catch up with all of my reading (you guys were really busy while I was checked out!!!), so expect some comments and love coming your way soon!

I did actually have time to make and photograph something, believe it or not.  I attended a Great Gatsby 4th of July party (WOOO), and I needed a new dress.  After examining my schedule for open pockets of time (non-existent), pastel and lighter hued fabrics (few and far between), I finally combined the simplicity of the Colette Truffle Dress with some sea foam satin remnants:


 
The neckline is a bit wonky in the photos because I got lazy when pushing the straps over my shoulders like the model wears them in the book.  I move around quite a bit.
 
*insert rump shaking Charleston dance here*



The satin is a bit wrinkled (and I swear the back doesn't look this bad in real life), and I inserted an invisible zipper without an invisible zipper foot (it just came YESTERDAY), but I quite like it.  I'm thinking if I throw a sweater over it, I'll be able to make it work appropriate.
 

 
This is my best friend.  She is a classy lady.


Our most gracious hostess, Karen. 



 
And my best friend's hubbie, who is also my friend.  It was a room full of happy, warm feelings ... and lots of sunshine.



My next project is a Vintage Vogue sundress for my sister, due on Friday (advice for bound buttonholes would be so so welcome!!). I've also been working on a few things for Meli's Rip and Redo Challenge, and I'm hoping to get those posted next week.
 
Many hugs and much love to you all, and I'm looking forward to catching up on all of your adventures in the next few days!
 
XOXOXO x 1,000
 
Meg

25 comments:

  1. Nice to see you back - the dress is gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back !! Glad you been enjoying the sun tho.... Handsome man, can't be bad ;))
    Love the dress, but oh my !! Where did you get that hair band ?! The 2 look perfect together. Glad to see some sunshine getting busy in your life xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Meg - lovely to see you. Glad you're so busy and happy. Love the dress, the colour really suits you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! I just love your dress—it's a wonderful color and shape on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! Welcome back Meg. Your teal dress is really pretty. It looks like you have a mini waist too!

    Bound buttonhole advice: Mark your sewing lines directly on your fabric with something (I use a chalk liner thingy but you could easily use a pencil if you don't have something precise.) And make besties with your iron! If you need a tutorial link let me know. I use the window/lips method via Gertie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh that's a really cute dress! Really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute dress--you look like the life of the party :) The headband is the perfect accessory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun party! And dress! My bound buttonhole advice would be to back-stitch as little as possible when going around the rectangle (buttonhole...sides....you get me?) so that it will press very nicely - my first few attempts I wanted to be very secure, so I did a lot of back-stitching and it was harder to make them look nice :( Less is more on that part! You can really go at it with the back-stitching on the little triangle though :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yayyy! You're back! And looking fabulous too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So CUTE! Love the colour. Looks like it was a great party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Meg, Glad your back. I too have had a pretty busy few months, so I get it. Your dress is beautiful. I have eyeing that Colette Truffle dress for some time and can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it, and this is the dress I am making too! Very chic!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's great to have you back! Your posts are always so full of vitality and fun. Good to hear that you're having a great time, and the dress is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO CUTE! I love this color on you! It's so fun and mermaid-y! Love it, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seriously cute, I love the colour! :) Good to have you back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seriously cute, I love the colour! :) Good to have you back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seriously cute, I love the colour! :) Good to have you back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh that's a really cute dress! Really suits you. love this color on you! It's so fun and mermaid-y! Love it, girl!Click here to hope you find your favorite party dress.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That dress looks so good! I'm glad life is treating you well, good to have you back, and thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look great and happy and ready to rock!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's very cute and I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looking awesome dear...you can also try some designer Indian wear it will suits on you!!

    ReplyDelete