Thursday, August 22, 2013

Leaving the Sewing Machine Alone

Friends, it's been a frustrating few weeks.  It seems that I am having a string of bad luck when it comes to picking patterns and fabrics.  In two of the projects (one of which you have already seen), the fabric was tearing before I finished the item.  With the third project, I chose a completely impractical fabric (cotton/linen blend - SO WRINKLY), rendering my new Simplicity 3688 trousers nearly unwearable to work.
 
So, aside from the two dresses I'll be finishing for my sister this weekend, I'll be leaving the sewing machine to sit for a time while I focus on my knitting needles...
and my very first sweater.
 
 
The lovely Michelle agreed to knit-a-long the Catherine sweater jacket with me, and she has been a huge help during our weekly meetings.  I've had the chance to learn quite a few things.  For instance, when you end up having more rows on one end than another, you will need to knit back and figure out where the issue happened ... and pay better attention to what direction you are knitting next time.  Also, when you don't anchor your colorwork yarn properly, it will suddenly appear like a huge spot on the right side of your sweater ... and then you will need to knit back.  Or when you don't carry your alternate color properly and it appears on the right side, you will need to knit back. 
 
I have had to knit back A LOT. I think I could do it in my sleep at this point.  I am feeling confident, though, that my sweater is going to be something I am proud of, once it is finished. 
 
Michelle and I work towards a common spot in the pattern prior to meeting each week.  If I work hard (and get done with my re-knitting after knitting back), then I tend to pick up another project.  Can you believe I am looking at other sweaters already? I have so much yarn set aside for projects, and I would love to have at least two sweaters done before winter sets in.  I think it's a reasonable goal... if I don't have to knit back too much ; )
 
Friends, what do you currently have on your needles? Let me know!
 
XOXO,
Meg

15 comments:

  1. I'm knitting the Caramel blanket sweater on Ravelry...my first sweater as well (not counting American Girl sweaters when I was younger!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, how fun! Your sweater looks so awesome! I'm a bit embarrassed to tell you that I have a sweater that needs a sleeve and a half that's been on the needles for... oh, let me think, Ravelry tells me that it's been over a year but SHE MUST BE LYING. Ugh! My goal this year is to finish a sweater. I used to really enjoy knitting, but sewing has totally taken over my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm knitting the Miette cardigan by Andi Satterlund. It's the first garment I've ever knit by myself (without my grandma interpreting the instructions and fixing my mistakes). The first three rows took me about 5 hours, but from there it has been relatively smooth sailing. If I don't look at that little mistake 5 inches back. I'm not undoing that much knitting, so I choose to ignore it.
    Your sweater looks so nice so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats your first sweater? It is looking fabulous!

    I always have at least one sewing project and two knitting projects on the go (one easy and one requiring concentration) so that I can pick up whichever I feel like working on. I am sewing the Anna dress from By Hand London, and also working on a cardigan and a pair of socks. If you are looking for another project, I do like the Miette cardigan which was easy to knit and so wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently knitting my first cardigan too! It's funny how quickly you resign yourself with all the backwards knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a pair of bus socks, a pair of home socks and a blanket on the needles. That is an amazing first sweater. Nice job! g

    ReplyDelete
  7. No pain, no gain. :-D J/K. You're doing a wonderful job. And, you're going to have a sweater before the weather turns. And, it's going to be awesome. And, I think all the RIPPING is a lot like the way people describe child birth, because you'll be so happy when it's done, you won't even remember all the troubles you had getting to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm guilty of the same thing. I just started a sweater last weekend, and I'm already planning out at least two more. Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! I can't wait to see how your sweater progresses! I find knitting and crocheting to be really soothing. Sometimes I just want to knit instead of sewing. I haven't really been sewing since May, only knitting. Do you have a Ravelry account?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about your recent sewing woes, and I hope they improve soon! As for my knitting, I'm currently finishing up the last of a set of dishcloths I'm making for a housewarming gift for my bestie, I recently started some chunky handwarmers, and I'm also doing a gauge swatch for a cardigan that I'm hoping to make before it gets too cold around here. (Second sweater, first cardigan, wish me luck!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, it's looking great though in the photo! Color work is hard, but worth it! I've been having some bad luck too; I'm hoping it turns around soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i have nothing on my needles. my needles have been given away!!! I HAZ NO PATIENCE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could knit- I've tried, the husband totally cringes when he sees me start touching yarn, he knows 2 weeks of failed attempts and tortured yarn are starting up again.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woah lady! That knitting is looking amazing! And colorwork is a major achievement.

    I know knitting back is a killer, but just think how much you're learning from this one project alone.

    What patterns are you looking at next? Are you on ravelry?? I need to find you on there if I haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh, sorry to hear that your sewing has been so frustrating. But your knitting looks like it's amazing! Colour work on your first garment? You continue to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete