Saturday, November 23, 2013

Doctor Who Sew Along: The Impossible Girl

Friends, while I've been knitting the time away these last few weeks, I stole a few moments to put together a dress fit for a 50th anniversary party :)

Several years ago, I came across this fantastic polyester plaid that has quite a bit of stretch in it.  I only managed to grab a little over two yards, and it has sat in my closet ever since.  Several months ago, the lovely Michelle gave me some patterns in my bust size, and I immediately fell in love with Butterick 4712.  Add into this lovely mix the marvelous Tempest Devyne's Doctor Who Sew Along, and you've got the right mixture for a proper time travel outfit!


Of course, while my favorite companion is Donna Noble for her sass and heart, I can not deny the fashion awesomeness of Clara Oswald.  The girl definitely knows how to rock plaid!


This dress was fairly simple to put together, though I did make some adjustments and added under bust and back darts to make the bodice a bit more fitted.  I tried on the dress prior to adding the darts, and didn't like the sack like shape that was emerging.  I think it's much more wearable now!


I got very lucky that the collar and dress plaids matched up so well.  I did run out of fabric for the under collar, so I just used a bright red to add a bit of contrast.  If you're going to run out of fabric, might as well make it a fashion choice, right?  Right!


While taking these photos prior to attending a Doctor Who viewing party was entertaining, it was also 24 degrees Fahrenheit!  Definitely too cold for a short dress with short sleeves, so I'll be adding some woolen tights and a sweater if I plan on wearing this out before Spring.


Many thanks to the Man Candy for allowing me to wear his hat on the way back home so my ears could warm up :)

And many MANY thanks to all of you for your wonderful comments on my last post!!  I am very pleased to say that I have worn the sweater almost every day, and I can't wait to show you what I've been working on lately.  I've become quite the sweater knitting fiend!

Hugs and kisses to all of you, and I hope my fellow Whovians had a marvelous 50th!

XOXO,
Meg

11 comments:

  1. Lovely dress. I will be watching Dr Who at 7.30 this evening here in Perth, WA.and I agree, Donna Noble rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it- you look like Carrie Mulligan in 'An Education' before she was cruelly sullied by that awful man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this dress! And how amazing was Dr Who last night! So so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so cute! I love this on you! I wish I could rewatch the 50th special again for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress looks so nice, and you're adorable! Happy watching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous dress!!! I am so sad to be having mean carpal tunnel and unable to sew for the sew-along. But I am going to see the special in the theater tomorrow night with my TARDIS socks on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this dress! Love the plaid!! Love the doctor!!! There's a lot of love in this comment... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This dress is so cute! And the fit is fantastic. Can't wait to see your next jumper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! It definitely has that Clara vibe going on, and it looks really cozy. Also, good job with posing jacket-less outside in such cold. All of my pics probably would have been jumping up and down for warmth while hugging myself so tightly that you wouldn't be able to see the front of the dress!

    p.s. Donna is my favorite, too. My mannequin is named after her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that plaid and I love this dress! I can totally see Clara in it! I hadn't heard about this Doctor Who sewalong, but I'm loving the link to Doctor Who fabrics on Spoonflower on Tempest Devyne's blog - I think I'm gonna make something out of the red scribbly fabric from the 11th Doctor's shirt.

    I am 100% in agreement on the Donna=favorite and Clara=most stylish issue! I finally watched the anniversary special tonight, and I was really sad that Donna wasn't in it. Loved her SO MUCH and cried buckets when she had to go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool, very cute, very Clara! I love how you're always smiling in your photos, you look so happy and it's impossible to see your smile and not smile back. Hope you enjoyed the anniversary special, and I do like that TARDIS beanie!

    ReplyDelete