Monday, November 4, 2013

Matchy Matchy with Michelle!

I have had three great achievements in my life so far: 1. Getting a Masters Degree.  2. Running a Marathon.  3. Knitting my first sweater

But let's be 1,000% clear here, folks. I could NOT have done this on my own.

 

The amazing Michelle (who I count among my dearest of friends in the universe now) was my partner in crime. Together, we tackled this pattern (The Drops Catherine Jacket), bit by bit, week by week. 
 
It all came about because I realized I wanted two knit by me sweaters before the new year rolled in.  As I was looking at patterns on Ravelry (a delicious candy store of wonderful knit goods), I settled on this pattern for my first time. A color work sweater.  That's really a jacket.  And is like 8 feet long. 
 
Holy Cannoli.



Michelle was fearless and SO SO PATIENT.



She didn't hesitate to join me in this endeavor, and her encouragement is what made this a success.  My random texts to her when I forgot how to seam, or I had more stitches on one side of the sweater than another, or when I fudged up my colorwork something awful - she guided me through it all.


Looking back, though the pattern was completely advanced and I am a beginner in every sense of the word, I am so glad I chose it.


The skills I learned are so essential to all of the sweaters I tackle in the future.  Increasing (oh hey, knit forward and back), decreasing, seaming (Michelle is a seaming master, you guys.  I was sweating bullets at this part.), COLOR WORK, picking up stitches, altering a pattern for my measurements (super long arms here)...
 
the list goes on and on.


Truly, I could not be more pleased!


The pattern calls for two colors of contrast, but Michelle and I each chose one.  I like the overall look of it, and I am counting on this sweater as being a huge part of my winter wardrobe.



 
I may even make another, with green being the base color and grey for the contrast.  Who knows? I'm a wild and crazy guy now.  WOOL SWEATERS FOR LIFE.



 
Many, many thanks to Michelle's awesome husband, Mike, for taking these fantastic photos, and even bigger thanks to Michelle for helping complete this beginning knitter's dream.  I love you like whoa. 
 
Friends, I've missed you, but hopefully you've forgiven me upon seeing this monster that I've completed.  Much love and many hugs to you all :)
 
 
 
PS and here's to our next KAL with the wonderful Liz - be prepared for more photo shoot fun in the next few months!

37 comments:

  1. Those are great achievements. Way to go on tackling such a complicated pattern. The sweater is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work, Meg! Congrats on your first hand knit sweater!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sweater is gorgeous!!! Congrats on finishing it! I may have to add it to my (ridiculously long) queue as I've been dreaming of a similar sweater myself...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! That is a feat!! And are those Tardis colors? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You DID IT! You made it look easy, my friend. :-D Now, you're unstoppable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute sweater, sis! Great photos of beautiful ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. meg, glorious meg, you look just BRILLIANT! both of you! those are the perfect winter sweaters. and i'm lusting after them.

    (i would also like to grieve with you over the state of our steeler nation. i feel like they all need a warm winter cardi right now.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations! you look terribly cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so, so, SO beautiful!!! You should be super proud of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it. That's definitely not a beginner project! Great work - you should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys look awesome! Also, if you can knit this as a "first sweater" you can do anything now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is fabulous. I am slightly in awe of people who knit and this is amazing for a first project!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a total trooper for making this as your first sweater - so many skills to learn all at once but you produced a beautiful FO! Plus I bet it was loads of fun to knit along Michelle. Your new sweater is lovely. Way to go Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um WHAAAAT?!?!?!?! This is your FIRST sweater?! Girl, you're crazy AND awesome! Both sweaters look amazing-- you guys did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that looks fantastic!! I've been knitting for a couple of years and I still haven't attempted a sweater! Looks like it'll keep you warm and cozy this winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could not be more pleased for you, oh and seriously jealous! It looks amazing and having knitting mentor is so cool. Great photos too. OK gush over!

    ReplyDelete
  17. lovelovelovelovelovelovelovelovelovelovelove love love!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW!!! What an amazing knit!! That is an impressive project and looks fantastic on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy Cannoli is right!! That is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that's an amazing first sweater experience! I'm working on my first little scarf, but when I'm ready to start a sweater, I'm calling you and Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love everything about this! Especially the cheesy family-style photos you took, they're actually quite beautiful. You girls should be sweater models! I'm so proud for you making such a hard sweater at your first go. I'm STILL afraid of making sweaters and I've been knitting for 8 years. What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whoa, it's beautiful and looks oh-so-cozy! It also looks like it took you absolutely AGES to knit. Colourwork?! Now I want one, too...
    PS: love the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whoa, it's beautiful and looks oh-so-cozy! It also looks like it took you absolutely AGES to knit. Colourwork?! Now I want one, too...
    PS: love the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whoa, it's beautiful and looks oh-so-cozy! It also looks like it took you absolutely AGES to knit. Colourwork?! Now I want one, too...
    PS: love the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Whoa, it's beautiful and looks oh-so-cozy! It also looks like it took you absolutely AGES to knit. Colourwork?! Now I want one, too...
    PS: love the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Welcome back! I'm super impressed with your first sweater. Way to go! I have only knit baby sweaters so far. :) Can't wait to see what you and Michelle are knitting up next.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your sweater turned out wonderful!!! And these pictures with you and Michelle are great. You look so pretty in that second to last photo too! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  28. love all this pictures of you! You look incredibly happy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Shit girl, this is your first sweater?! I totally didn't realize that! I love love love the photos of you two also, so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, that is fabulous - what an amazing first project. I take my hat off to you - well I would if I was wearing one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderfulness. I love that last pic especially- you are ready for any challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your sweater looks AMAZING! I'm so jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. What an awesome sweater! Can't believe you knit that as a complete beginner! I've been knitting up a cardigan for the best part of 6 months nos and still only have 6" knitted of the back! Oops. Admittedly I pick it up and then drop it for weeks on end so that doesn't help! lol

    Well done though chica,it looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Holy freaking moly! I can't believe that this is your first knit! You are amazing. It looks great too, you've done a beautiful job. Like I said, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. At first I thought this was just a winter fashion post when I was scrolling through quickly at work, and then my first thought upon realizing that you knit it yourself was: holy crap! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete