Monday, December 9, 2013

In Triplicate!

 
Friends, what could possibly be better than one completed Ingenue sweater?  Why, three completed Ingenues, of course!
 

Liz, Michelle, and I have been quite busy the last few weeks with these sweaters.  Our regular meetings in an Argo Tea downtown allowed us time to swap ideas on sleeves (no increases for any of us), while catching up on the events in each other's lives.  



We each chose a different yarn for our sweaters, and the results are stunning.  I worked with Highlander's Alpaca with a Twist in Eggplant, and I could not be more pleased!
 
(As I look at my sewing queue, I'm definitely seeing a purple theme. Could this be my signature color for this winter? Gasp!)


This sweater pattern was SUPER EASY compared to my last monster.  I love that it took half the time and I can throw it over my head without worrying about which side is front (because they are exactly the same).

 
The pattern called for princess decreases for the waist at a relatively early point, which meant that the decreases would've started at the apex of my bust.  Ummm...no.  I added two inches of stockinette to bring the decreases to under my bust, as well as added rows in between the decreases as Michelle advised since I am "a tall glass of water." The waist increases I kept the same, and what do you know? It fits around my hips perfectly.  Whew! 

(Jazz hands for Felix - I don't take serious pictures well)
 



Since I'm a relatively loose knitter (bah dum chee), I cast on the collar on size 8 needles, and then switched to size 7s for the rest of the sweater.  This allowed me to have a more snug fit (like I wanted), instead of having a boxier sweater.  I am not a fan of boxy.

 
I did make one mistake that might haunt my brain.  I accidentally skipped a decrease in the first sleeve I made, and in order to make the sleeves symmetrical, I did the same in the second sleeve.  It's only disappointing because I wanted the sleeves to be a bit more snug, but I think it worked out well just the same. 

 
The best part of this sweater is the ladies who were with me as I knit it.


Michelle and Liz are amazing, and I learned so much about renovations and knitting during our conversations.  Liz keeps amazing notes, and Michelle can easily decipher the errors I've made in any of my stitches.  Both are wonderful teachers.


I do have to give MAJOR CREDIT at this point in time to Mike and Felix, the husbands of Michelle and Liz, for taking such amazing photos.  We had the best time at the Lincoln Park Conservatory, which was a tropical paradise compared to the frozen tundra outside.


I'm trying to pick patterns where I'll learn new skills, and this sweater gave me the chance to make a pullover, sew down a collar, swatch and adjust for a better fit, as well as add rows in order to customize the decreases and increases.

 
Overall, a marvelous experience with these lovely ladies, and one that I will remember fondly every time I wear this pullover.  Liz and Michelle - YOU ARE THE BEST.

 
This dance is for you..  XOXO!
 
 
Have a lovely day, my friends!  And stay warm out there!

27 comments:

  1. This makes me smile! How nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like sharing creative energy. all the swather are fabulous and the pictures too. so much fun x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a home run! Or a hole-in-one! I don't know, pick your metaphor! ;) But the friendship and good times will be with you every time you put on that sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything in this post! I so wish I lived in Chicago with you and we could have amazing fun adventure times. I promise I'll visit someday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look divine in this sweater! Wishing my teleport was working so I could join you lovely ladies on your next knitting adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool! You can tell you guys love your sweaters and had so much fun making them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! I love that you worked on a project together in real life! They're all so so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are so COOL! Like Lisette, I wish I leaved nearby so I could join in the fun! Such beautiful gals!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great sweater and it looks like the three of you have so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You three are way too cool for school! Love the jumpers and the photoshoot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome x 3! Purple is a great color on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How awesome! LOVE the pictures and seriously, HOW MUCH FUN must you have had knitting these together!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the neckline! what beautiful sweaters, and how fun to have two lovely teachers. I don't knit, but beautiful sweaters make me want to learn :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You girls look so cute in your coordinated sweaters! This eggplant color looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is the cutest post ever! Love the photos of all three of you together. So nice that you get together regularly and knit. :) Each sweater looks amazing! -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that sweater and also love purple! I might even get made fun of a little because I buy everything in purple. I would love to knit with you ladies if I ever finish a whole project on my own so I know I can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are a sweater knitting machine! I love our sweaters! I have the best time knitting with you and Liz! I'm excited to start our next project!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 3 gorgeous sweaters indeed. Tip for next time when you do sleeves do both at the same time. A little crowded in the needles, but saves half the time and you get identical sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh that looks like such fun - and you all got a new jumper at the end, what a great way to learn to knit. I think purple is definitely your A/W colour :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow - 2 (?) sweaters in, and you are a knitting queen! Purple = love!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You guys look great!! I love how different they all look in your chosen yarn and with your differently styled outfits!!

    Also, you are the funnest, Meg!! I can't wait until you're in NYC, again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous sweaters times 3! Fantastic photo shoot too :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. love these - also the pattern is adorable. I want to come knit with you guys too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful sweater! The purple really looks great on you an I love the pattern on the cowl and sleeves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely knitting by all of you! I love the color you chose. Can't wait to see what you knit up next. :) and can't wait to see what dance moves will be in your next post. :) love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely amazing! I'm so impressed by what you've made since you started knitting so recently - and this looks spectacular on you.

    ReplyDelete