Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Because Everyone Needs a Bathrobe

Friends, I have been wanting to make a bathrobe for YEARS.  I knew I wanted a colorful, floor-length, extra long-sleeved robe, complete with pockets, belt, and epic collar.  Thankfully, the lovely Michelle gave me the perfect pattern during a swap: McCall's 4719 (which is part of Marlo's Corner?! AWESOME. I didn't know that until just this minute).


I bought this green and white medallion terry knit two years ago, and have been staring at it every since.  I waffled back and forth on whether it would turn out to be a robe or if I should continue my search for other colorful robe fabric.


With the polar vortex hitting peak intensity this week, I finished the robe and knew immediately that I had picked the correct fabric. I love the finished result, and the warmth it gives when working from home or getting out of the shower is exceptional.


I made the sleeves extra long, just the way I like them.  My last bathrobe ended up having 3/4 sleeves because I didn't stop growing.  That one has probably been gone ten years now, so this bathrobe fills a tremendous gap in my closet/loungewear needs!


The collar is disco-riffic.  You could poke your eye out on those points.


I love the pockets.  They are nice and deep, meaning I can haul around my cell phone and chap stick without any issue.  Brilliant.


Friends, have you ever sewn a bathrobe?  What pattern and fabric did you use?

Stay warm and snuggly, friends!!

XOXO,
Meg

16 comments:

  1. This is amazing! Love the length, pockets, and those sleeves! I have never made a robe but this one might have to get in my stash right quick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last Christmas I sewed a burgundy bathrobe with grey accents for my 10-year-old daughter. It is nice and oversized and she wears it every day - she says she likes it because it is like the robes they wear in the Harry Potter movies. Yours looks great with your skin tone - not very Harry Potterish though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 3 dressing gowns on my 'Hurry up and make it' list - for me, my OH and my brother! I have a vintage pattern specifically for the men, I've been meaning to make one for me for so long I've managed to gather about 5 patterns I now need to choose from! Your fabric is super, really suits you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so wondrously comfy - and I adore your terry!! Good sized packets are essential as is a proper wrap around - this might just be perfect ;) - PS: Love the collar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lovely and cosy - sounds like just what you need in your weather conditions. I made a bathrobe once in my mid teens and wore it for years then handed on to my sister, who then wore it until it fell apart. Haven't come across any fabric that would make me want to sew another one - yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic fabric! I love those colours! Another great make Meg, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sleeeeeeeeeves, those sleeves are everything! sometimes i wish our apartment wasn't 80 degrees all year round, as i miss out on snuggly indoor clothes...then i shake myself and put on a sundress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the 70sness! I looooove it. I'm kind of praying mine falls apart because I want to make one, but it is really well made (In The USA, no less), so I doubt I'll get to make a bathrobe anytime soon. My summer one is a lovely vintage cotton kimono style made in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so jealous of your warm, comfy bathrobe during polar vortex week. I was walking around my apartment all day with a down comforter - which doesn't hold chap stick and the like very well. heh

    Love that you've made time to make a great staple piece that you'll wear for years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are too cute! I love this! I have an oversized men's bathrobe that was a wrap gift from a show I worked on ages ago, and it's not NEARLY as fun as this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a perfect match of pattern and fabric! The bathrobe looks so cosy too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So fun! And necessary with this awful midwestern weather! Also, you could fly to Persia with those lapels!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your new robe and, I too, like longer sleeves on a robe - keeps your hands warm!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally jealous, I need fabulous loungewear...

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is an envy-inspiring bathrobe :)

    ReplyDelete