Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Cambie and Anna Go To A Party...


 Friends, working for a large company can be quite fun ... especially when its time for the holiday party and they rent out a museum to celebrate.
 
 
 
Such a party was had at the Museum of Science and Industry here in Chicago, and I was super lucky to have the most awesome date there: my bestie, Stephy.
 
 
In order to mark this momentous occasion of free food, drinks, dancing, and an all you can eat ice cream bar, I made a Cambie dress for myself, and made the Anna dress for Stephy.  It was down to the wire for the Cambie (I ironed it on my body as we were going out the door), but both turned out super well for the evening!
 

Stephy and I went fabric shopping at the Textile Discount Outlet for her Anna fabric, and she settled on this lovely heathered cotton blend with velvet cutouts. I have not seen another fabric like this anywhere, so I was excited to work with it.  My fabric is actually from my first meet up trip in New York!  It took me FOREVER to find the right pattern, but I love it as a Cambie.


 
There wasn't enough of Stephy's fabric on the bolt for the maxi length dress (I so desperately wanted to give Stephy the thigh high split), but I think the knee length version worked out just as well.  We're saving the maxi length Anna for summer.



The best part about running amok in a science museum was definitely playing in the exhibits!


Favorite moment: playing in the tornado after three cocktails.  I AM A WIZARD, YOU GUYS.

 
After seeing how easily both patterns came together, I can definitely see more versions of these in the future.  I think Stephy would look great in a Cambie, and I would love an Anna of my own.


I was able to wear the Cambie on New Year's, but sadly, Stephy's zipper has gone haywire, so that will need to be fixed asap so my girl can get back to looking glamorous:
 

That fabric is glorious to touch and has a lovely drape.  Steph added a belt to break up the pattern a bit, giving it a touch of punk rock awesome.

 
Here's to a great night with my bestie ...

 
and to conquering new dress patterns!
 

XOXO,
Meg

17 comments:

  1. You are both stunning! The dresses are beautiful And you are insanely talented, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely as always Ms. Meg! I love your cambie fabric - ahhhmazing. I want to touch it in person. Okay.. that sounds creepy - but you know what I mean we're all sewing buddies here. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these look great! You're an awesome friend-- lucky Stephy! Also, jealous of the party-- used to love that museum as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you both look amazing! i so loved that museum when i lived in the area... would love to take my kids there now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That party looks so fun! I'm pretty sure that's the museum that the Dresden Files series put on my bucket list. The dresses look good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So flipping cute, the both of them! Both fabrics are absolutely gorgeous and you look amazing. Love them!

    Also, that party looks both nerdy and awesome. The best combination!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last picture is so epic!!! Wow - two amazing dresses??? Love that you took the time to make one for your bff :) Anna for the WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You ladies look awesome and I'm so jealous of that ice cream bar! I made a Cambie for my work Christmas party and an Anna for a gala dinner a week ago so they're obviously the patterns of the season. And what a lovely friend you are to make a dress for your bestie-date too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dresses are amazing, and this looks like so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful x 2!!! And gorgeous fabrics for both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are both beautiful! Fabric perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, those tornado photos are the best! You are so sweet to sew for you and for her! I love both of those dresses. Wins for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Playing in a tornado in a dress? Sounds like an awesome time and both dresses look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. MEG!!! i always knew you had superpowers!!! y'all look hawt. you have to do a switcheroo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The sign of a good friend - sewing her a dress ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Generally I like to and get my mix of Vitamin E from pills. While I would prefer to via a good meal plan it can be even more difficult to at times.
    Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  17. Two stunning dresses on two fabulous looking women. I love my bestie but I can't imagine ever making her a dress. You get all the BFF brownie points!

    Also, I love your wizardy photos, what fun!

    ReplyDelete