Thursday, February 13, 2014

Me Made 2014: Rounding out January and sliding into February!

Friends, Me Made 2014 is pushing through these winter months! While it hasn't stopped snowing or dipping below freezing, I've managed to stay warm with just the things I've made - whew!

January 28

I spent the whole day in my bathrobe because I LOVE IT SO MUCH. 



January 29

I've been incredibly productive the last three weeks.  At last count, I think I made 7 new tops, one bathrobe, one pair of pants, two skirts, and two mini bloomers.  It helps that it is so cold out that I've stopped making plans for the weekends and just stay in and sew. 
I made two new McCall's 5929, one in bright cherry red.  I've been longing for a vibrant red blouse in my wardrobe, and this works perfectly.  All the ruffles in front warm my heart! I paired it with my flannel circle skirt and some grey sweater tights.  I was quite snuggly at the office.


January 30

This blouse is also new to the wardrobe! It was stuck in UFO status for at least six months with just the collar needing to be finished. Of course, once I finally focused on it, the collar only took 30 minutes.  It's New Look 6808, view C with the bow collar.  I paired it with the Running Around in Circles skirt (and tights, of course).


January 31
My second McCall's 5929 blouse, this time in plaid flannel.  LOVE. I love flannel, and making a semi-dressy blouse in flannel is one of the best things I have ever done.


I assembly lined this and the cherry red blouse. My secret to assembly line sewing is to sew the same pattern in the same color thread. I found I could make two blouses with red thread, so I tested it out and it worked like a dream.  I just needed to fill lots of bobbins ahead of time.  I've got more blouses planned out this way, even two more in this pattern, both calling for black thread.


I'm just going to take a second and pat myself on the back for the total fluke plaid matching on the bodice and button plackets.  I felt like a plaid matching boss when I noticed that.


The plaid on the sleeves even match to the plaid on the bodice! It's a plaid matcher's dream, you guys.



February 1
February is cold. I don't like it.


February 2

We cast on for our KAL here in Chicago!  My friend and I met over the best cup of chai tea in town and got our knit on. I wore my Catherine Jacket for good luck, the Colette Cinnamon because I really like it, and the jeans for comfort.
(Sometimes I don't make my bed for days. True story.)



February 3

I am doing my best to work color into my winter wardrobe.  I feel like most of the folks in my office have resorted to neutrals to match the weather outside, but I am holding out. 
I paired my Roman Holiday skirt with my purple Simplicity 2501 blouse.  Since both are made from the same set of bedsheets, I thought it only fitting that they be paired together.  Not going to lie, I am loving this look!



February 4:

I don't think it is possible to have too many Colette Jasmine blouses in my closet.  I need more. More bow blouses. In all of the colors.  Also, I love this mustard pencil skirt.  I wear it constantly.


February 5

I've been working on cooking more.  It is better for my budget and healthier ... well, mostly healthier. I'm making chicken and broccoli here, something I normally order from a Chinese restaurant but much cheaper when made in my kitchen.


(Also, Tigger slippers.  The heads bob up and down when I walk.)


I made this blouse from an old nightgown.  I liked the tiny flower print, but needed to underline it to make it more opaque.


I kept the pocket from the nightgown and made it part of the blouse.  It holds my cell phone and work badge perfectly.


February 6

So every once in awhile, I get tired of wearing pants around the house.  I decided to pull my Jamie Christina Mission Maxi out of the closet and wear it around with my Catherine Jacket.  I really like this combination - perfect for working from home when the radiators are on full blast.
Also, can I just say that I know I am pear shaped, but holy cannoli, I feel like it is really emphasized in this photo? Yowza. Hips don't lie, friends.


February 7

Jeans day at work is my favorite day of the week. It also helps that jeans day is every Friday, so the weekend is right around the corner.  YAY!

The sweater is an altered one of Mama Grand's, and the blouse was a UFO that I finally finished after having it lay in a pile for 4 months.  There is something really satisfying about having something hanging in your closet instead of shoved into a plastic bag at the bottom of a pile, don't you think?


I really like how this version of Simplicity 2501 turned out, even if it is a bit sheer. 


I thought the print was darling with the tiny roses, but I'm definitely going to need to employ some camisoles or sweaters when I wear this out.


February 8

Saturdays, I LOOOOOOVE YOU.  I was rocking my high school memorabilia all day, with a shirt and sweatpants that I had altered to make them better fitting.  Seriously - what kind of fashion sense did I have in high school?  (Answer: none. I used to wear visible boxer shorts under jeans. Those pictures have all been burned.)


February 9

I finally broke out the Eva Dress Overalls and yet another McCall's 5929.  Best friend Stephy and I went for a walk around the neighborhood and I was quite comfy. I really need to employ these overalls more often - I forget how much I love the fit and look of them.


February 10

PLAID PANTS PLAID PANTS PLAID PANTS.

There are no words to express how long I have wanted obnoxious plaid pants in my closet.  These are just the right amount of obnoxious, right between "WOW - bold choice" and "Avert your eyes! They are BLINDING with those colors."  


They are like really long clown pants with darts.  Oh, Simplicity 3688, I adore you so.


I wore these with my red McCall's 5929 and some fabulous red heels around the office.  I think my coworkers were a bit surprised at all the color.


The best thing about these pants is they feel like a wool blend of some kind, and the inside is delightfully fuzzy and soft, so I was so warm ALL DAY.  Wind chill below freezing?  Not an issue.


I'm making an active effort to use up all the zippers in my stash, so I threw a green one on these pants as green wasn't represented in the plaid.

February 11

A new Renfrew paired with my black Simplicity 3688 trousers.  This Renfrew was made out of a remnant that I picked up at Vogue Fabrics some time ago, and since it's sweatshirt material, it's perfect for the weather right now.


I couldn't resist the allure of the pink plaid, but trying to line up the lines properly was incredibly difficult. Eventually I gave up trying to make the off-kilter plaid work and turned everything on it's side.  I didn't care how the cowl laid, but I cut the front bodice and sleeves along the bias. 


The back needed to be pieced together, and sadly, I didn't have enough to cut this along the bias as well.  I matched the horizontal plaid as best as I could, but you can see the wonkiness of the print along the center back seam. 


It's still comfortable, and I'll still wear it, but I will never understand how or why it was printed going every which way.

February 12

Yet ANOTHER McCall's 5929! I love this pattern.  I paired it with my Malory Archer skirt, which I usually never wear but I like how it looks here.  I'm trying to use all of the items in my closet and it's fun to see how I can style odd pieces to make them work in my day to day life.


Friends, I hope you're staying warm, and 2014 is treating all of you right so far!

XOXO,
Meg

16 comments:

  1. I have to stop by to tell you that you are adorable, your sewing is great, and I "get" your personality. Best to you, stay true to YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Moly!!! Your handmade wardrobe is extensive and amazing! And to have the diligence to take a photo every day - I am inspired :) I especially love that new plaid flannel ruffle front blouse! I have a similar (purchased) one that I love to wear, but the sleeves are juuuust too tight - now I'm am realizing I could just make my own that fits perfectly Lol - why didn't I think of it before :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some great new pieces! Love the ruffle blouses. But, my goodness, can I borrow some of your energy!? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're on fire! Love your ruffle front blouses - assembly line sewing by thread colour is a genius idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lady, that is a seriously awesome collection of outfits! I'm loving this challenge of yours, by the way. Been meaning to comment on your original post for aaaaagessss, but keep getting interrupted by a small creature of chaos, hah.

    Also, loving the colours in your apartment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! You have been such a busy gal! Everything looks great. I love the idea of flannel for the ruffle blouse - very cozy. Seeing your Renfrew reminded me that you have made many. I have written a post asking for help here: http://flyawayhome-4am.blogspot.com/2014/02/i-am-pulling-my-hair-out.html and gotten no response. Would you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got some gorgeous outfits there! I especially love all the plaids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO many things to say, I need to scroll back through the post and comment as I go! I am super impressed with this whole Me Made 2014 thing. Also, because the one time we met in real life you complained about your work saying your me-mades weren't office appropriate. So you're clearly doing an awesome job. My favorite makes here are the orange blouse (I need one, kthx), and the plaid pants. My 70s envy just came out big time when I saw those. You should sew a cute apron if you're going to cook in your work clothes.
    End train of thought.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Question - what the hell is going to happen with May comes (Me Made May)? lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've officially stuck to this resolution longer than I've stuck to any resolution I've ever set! I'm so impressed that you're keeping up. And, the rate at which you produce new garments blows my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. it's like we're pattern buddies or something - I've got all of those in my pattern stash! you've inspired me to cut something out this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, look at you and your amazing handmade wardrobe! That red blouse is utterly fabulous and looks sensational on you!!! You've reminded me that I need to sew more Jasmines and Renfrews :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look awesome - and so happy! Can you come work in my office - I need the energy of those awesome plaid pants! I can't pick which of your new makes I like best - they are all inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You couldn't be any cuter if you tried! I love all of these, but I think my favorite is the orange blouse. It's such a great color!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love all your makes!
    especially the red blouse and the circle skirts. a girl can never have enough circle skirts :-)
    not doing you bed is very healthy for you - when it´s put together and covered with a bedcover it´s the best eco-system for those little house dust beasts!

    ReplyDelete

  16. HELLO

    my name is Antonio and I'm Italian

    You are so sweety and beautiful

    I hope you like PLAID / TARTAN / GINGHAM shirts.

    I have a great passion for plaid shirts since I was little .
    Just like some collect stamps or coins I like to collect pictures of people in plaid shirts .

    So COULD YOU TAKE SOME PHOTOS FOR ME WEARING AS MANY PLAID SHIRTS POSSIBLE?

    I have a private collection of WOMEN and people in PLAID SHIRTS on this website www.FLICKR.COM I also leave you the link if you want to browse .. ok ?

    Will be fine also photos with friends, family, etc.
    The importance it's wearing PLAIDS .. ok?



    PICTURES will never be published except for your ASKING

    That's the link below in wich you could see some photos related of my passion of PLAID:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/36248663 @ N00 /


    ANY way , thanks

    I hope that I have not caused any discomfort or inconvenience

    thank you very much

    Antonio ;=)

    ReplyDelete