Thursday, March 6, 2014

30:60: Project 3: Not exactly purple ... more like magenta

Friends, I have kicked my dark purple streak for Project #3 of 30:60...but I've definitely fallen hard for magenta.
 
I acquired McCall's 5226 several months ago, and immediately fell in love with view C (boat neck with V in the back).  Since the pattern I bought is for a 34 inch bust, I had to make some adjustments on my end.  I decided to try my hand at enlarging with a satin remnant that I picked up from the Textile Discount Outlet.  (Remnant bin - third floor - my version of heaven)
 
Now that it is finished, I will freely admit I am quite in love with the color and style.



The V in the back is flattering, but definitely needs to be pressed before each wear.  Also, the darts need to be pressed back into shape.  Satin seems to have a mind of its own sometimes - it never wants to lay as flat as I would like.


The biggest shock of all (besides the fact that I actually managed to fit this well) was that I had a zipper in my stash to match the fabric.  *High fives self*


For my first foray out with it, I paired it with my black and white houndstooth skirt (altered hand-me-down) and some black tights.  I also wore a black sweater in the office - we aren't supposed to have sleeveless shirts.  


Pardon the wrinkles, please.  I had been sitting for many hours.
 
(Thanks to Liz for taking my photo!!)



I can't wait to see how this looks paired with my Simplicity 3688 trousers.  And I think I need to make a fabulous little jacket or bolero to pair with this.  Do I have more magenta in my stash?  Because I think this might become a new favorite color of mine...
and my mind is off and running!
 
 
Have a marvelous day, all - stay warm!
 
XOXO,
Meg

12 comments:

  1. I love this top! The color and the lines are just lovely. I have to add this pattern to the list of ones I want to trace from you. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just let me know when you are ready for it and I'll bring it to our weekly meet ups :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh this is cute! I'm loving the boatneck and v-back. I always love vintage patterns but I get worried about modifying them, for some reason. Way more nervous than I get about modifying contemporary ones! It makes no sense. I bet you can't wait to see how this will be in the summer...once Chicago warms up! I'm getting so sick of this snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modifying vintage patterns makes me so so nervous. I was completely convinced that my bust darts and arms were going to be all wonky, but it came out ok. I think it will be a long time before I'm comfortable with that process!

      I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER. I have so many skirts I want to make - and yes, definitely some more boat necks to wear in the office! I just want to be done with layering. For at least six months.

      Delete
  3. CUTE! I think a pop of color looks awesome with black and white! The fit tuned out beautifully! I can see you making an arsenal of these for summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, honey! I definitely want more boat necks in my future - and also warm weather! I'm pretty sure you would agree with me on that lol

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful! I love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dear!! I'm excited that my experiment with color wasn't a failure haha

      Delete
  5. SO MUCH PRETTIES!!!! Please more magenta on Meg. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, darling! I dug through my stash the other night and found a purple fabric with magenta spots. UMM...where have you been all my life, fabric???

      Delete
  6. I love this color. I think it's the most flattering for redheads :)

    ReplyDelete