Sunday, March 30, 2014

The 40s and 40s Dress

Friends, this is a very belated outfit post.  During the summer of 2013, after my love and I had been dating several months, he took me to a fabulous party that was themed "40s and 40s." You dressed in the 40s style while drinking a 40 ounce beverage, which is pretty fantastic idea for a party.


To get in the proper spirit of the party, I made a dress from Simplicity 1587 with some fabric I had picked up in an antique mall in Ohio.  The fabric felt like a poly-silk blend, and was absolute butter in my hands after ironing it.  It was ridiculously glorious.


The only issue with the glorious fabric would be that it liked to shift around quite a bit, meaning that the skirt in these photos isn't exactly centered.  Whoops!


I love the style of the dress.  The top allows enough room to be comfortable, the sleeves have a bit of vertical gathering, the waist is cinched enough to give me some shape, and the skirt flows beautifully.


I was so taken with the vertical gathers on the sleeves that I may try this on a Renfrew at some point.  I think it would be a nice hack, and that pattern holds a near and dear place in my heart.


The absolute best part of this dress is the fabric.  It's pink, navy, and white, with pink beer steins on it.  IT'S AMAZING, and perfect for a party where the beverages will be plentiful.


Now that warmer weather is around the corner, I anticipate wearing this dress quite often, but in the meantime, here's a photo of the initial wearing:


Have a marvelous day, all!

XOXO,
Meg

13 comments:

  1. Adorable- I'm so loving this on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, cool fabric! And the dress design is lovely--you look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a perfect dress for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That fabric is amazing! Fabulous dress

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty fabric and a beautiful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous! I love that it looks like a cute floral until you get close enough to spot the beer steins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dress and fabric is super cool! And can I just say that your Doctor Who print over your fireplace is glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. okay. really? REALLY? i'm thinking, meg goes to the best parties, but then you go and rock BEER STEIN FABRIC?!

    you win everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how lovely, Meg! That dress is wonderful, and the print... oh the print. Can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO CUTE! That print is possibly the cutest beer print on a fabric, ever!!! This dress is beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a beautiful dress Meg, the shape is so flattering and the print adorable! You two look super cute together too!xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. So so pretty on you! Love the shape of the dress. You must be super talented to make such a pretty dress. I decided a few weeks ago to get my sewing machine out and try to make a dress that i've been wanting. You just inspired me;)

    ReplyDelete