Wednesday, April 9, 2014

30:60 Project 13: Meg and the Amazing Technicolor Capelet

Friends, this is all I have been singing the past three days:



Such a dazzling cape of many colors! How I love my cape of my colors!


I've always wanted a little capelet to wear during the seasonal transitions here, which is why I bought Simplicity 2285 AGES ago.  As with many patterns in my stash, it just sat there and waited. And waited.  Surely there must be a cute fabric somewhere that would make me feel like stepping out in a fabulous way?
 

Enter my trip to NYC back in 2011.  The lovely Miss Oona and I shared this delightful piece of textured woven, and she pounced on the challenge of working with this fabric by making an AHMAHZING playsuit.  I, however, sat on my piece and waited for some inspiration.


As winter 2013 began to close in, I decided it was time to put the Simplicity pattern and this fabric together.  A colorful piece of outerwear? Perfect for Chicago weather where it's gray six months out of the year.

 
I knew I wanted a lining in my cape, something solid and bright, so while I hesitated on sewing the cape together, I searched.  Eventually, I stumbled across a satin remnant during Vogue shopping with the marvelous Mari a few weeks ago.  All the pieces were in place.  It was time to seize the moment!


 
I had to alter the construction to add the lining, but it didn't add much time to the assembly of the project.  I like the flash of color, as well as the fact that the lining hides the flannels and batting that I flatlined to the outer woven pieces - I like having the extra warmth.  Also, it hides the pockets.  They are sneaky pockets.  I love them.

 
Overall, it wasn't a difficult project.  The fabric was a bit troublesome because it loooooves to fray, so I zig zagged everything, which definitely added time to the construction.  It's worth investing the extra time if it means this capelet will last for several transition seasons.
 

The fabric moved around a bit and stretched and warped (especially on the front yokes), but I'm not going to care too much about it BECAUSE LOOK AT ALL THE COLORS.


It was red and yellow and green and brown
and scarlet and black and ochre and peach
and ruby and olive and violet and fawn
and lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve
and cream and crimson and silver and rose
and azure and lemon and russet and gray
and purple and white and pink and orange
and red and yellow and green and brown
and scarlet and black and ochre and peach
and ruby and olive and violet and fawn
and lilac and gold and chocolate and mauve
and cream and crimson and silver and rose
and azure and lemon and russet and gray
and purple and white and pink and orange
And BLUE!
 


XOXO,
Meg



11 comments:

  1. Love it lady! I have a very soft spot in my heart for capes (although I lack any in my current wardrobe. Something to be remedied eventually...) and this one is truly fabulous! To make it even better, I happen to know all the words to all the songs in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and so I will be singing the songs all day as you just got them stuck in my head ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously, that fabric acts like it wants to return to its former life as a ball of yarn! your cape is brilliant. BRILLIANT. perhaps if i'd gone this route, instead of, you know, bathing suit made of non stretch woven, i'd still have my half...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhh!!!! I LOVE it!!! It's so fun and colourful! Is that your lovely Love Story dress you're wearing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so loving this! Then you flashed that awesome lining and I along cried with envy! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That fabric is amazing! Very fun project overall. I've been wanting a cape, but haven't quite convinced myself that I can make it work in my everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun Meg! You were describing this fabric to me, but a picture is worth a thousand words. :) It looks great and love that you added underlining so it's a warm cape too. Can't wait to see/touch it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. The colors are just fantastic, and THAT LINING! I love little secret bits of sewing that make us happy inside. Very cool…hope the weather doesn't warm up too much so you can strut about in this for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's even more beautiful than I imagined! I love it! It was SO smart to underline it. You're going to be able to wear it through 3 seasons of Chicago!... well, 2 for sure. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zomg. Meg, this is GORGEOUS. I am dying over all the pretty! This fabric is perfect as a cape and that lining is a lovely coordinated touch. You look amazing in this! Love, love, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cape- I love those colors! And now I shall have Joseph in my head for DAYS. So..thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This really amazing, and now I can't stop singing!

    ReplyDelete