Friends, sometimes it can be difficult sewing new patterns for other people. For instance, Kitty Grand did me a big favor and bought me some much needed items at Costco and then shipped them to me. In return, I offered to make her a tunic to wear with tights for her visit to her boyfriend's parents.
We decided that a bright red poly would be fabulous to pair with Butterick 5815, which I had recently purchased for my stash because I fell in love with the sleeves.
While sewing it up (and there are only four pieces, so it didn't take long), I noticed that it was turning out more sack-like that I had anticipated. In order to give minimal shaping to the tunic, I took out four inches total, two inches from each side.
I was still worried about the fit when I sent it to my sister across the country, but I was afraid to take out any more and have her not be able to more her arms or even get into it. Sadly, I was right to be worried. It ended up too baggy on top, so she'll be safety pinning the excess and mailing it back to me for fixing.
After sewing this up once, I don't think I'll be making this full pattern again. While I do love how the sleeves are put together, I think I would rather incorporate these onto a dress pattern that I am already comfortable making and wearing.
While I get over this disappointment, here are some pictures of Kitty Grand modeling her corduroy skirt (from New Look 6190 given to me by the lovely Lisette) for her birthday in December.
She's so sassy. Now I know where I get it from ;)