Wednesday, April 16, 2014

30:60: Project 17 and 18: Taffeta, Darling! Taffeta, Sweetheart...

Friends, I have loved Madeline Kahn from a very young age (even when not completely appropriate - *cough* Blazing Saddles *cough*).  Even now, I find myself regularly quoting her movies ("Flames...flames on the side of my face" is a particular favorite in frustrating situations), but it's her line of "Taffeta, Darling" from Young Frankenstein that has always enthralled me.



When I found myself in possession of some green/black taffeta, I knew it was meant to be.


I didn't have enough for a dress, but I did happen to have enough for Vogue 8882, view E - my very first high-low skirt.


I am in loooooooove with it.  Even if it's not completely practical for every day wear.  Even if it's still too cold to wear it outside.  Don't care. I think it's a glorious piece.


Also, I feel like it makes my legs look 18 miles long. *high fives all around*


For the photos, I paired it with a men's shirt refashion.  One of Papa Grand's shirts that he gave to me for refashioning, to be exact.  


I took in the side seams, added some darts, managed to keep the pocket, chopped off the sleeves and created armhole bindings with the scraps, still managed to keep the stretch on the buttons to a minimum.  I'm going to call this a win.

I actually really like how the refashioned blouse and skirt look together.  Perhaps this could be an ensemble for a gathering I'm heading to this weekend?



Friends, 18 projects down, 12 to go!

XOXO,
Meg

10 comments:

  1. your legs ARE 18 miles long.

    i say this is the outfit for that occasion. hell for whatever occasion you want! WWMD?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a VISION, my dear! I LOVE. L.O.V.E. this entire outfit. I think that the skirt paired with the shirt is really sexy. It's flirty meets professional. I want to wear this every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty meg - do love that skirt.

    But.... since when do you wear glasses?! When did that happen??? heh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taffeta suits you, my friend! You look like a million bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! Love the skirt! I wouldn't have guessed the top was a refashion until you mentioned it, job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES YES YES YES!! What a fabulous skirt! And Papa Grand's shirt = total win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job on the skirt. I love Madeline Khan too...the flames line is a good one, but her best is "Men should be like Kleenex: soft, strong and disposable" :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE! Love Love LOVE this skirt, and paired with Papa Grand's refashion is genius!! Wear it anywhere, you'll knock 'em dead! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. HELL YES! Love it!! so much fun and it looks so swooshy :)

    ReplyDelete