Monday, June 23, 2014

Summer Stashbust 2014!

Friends, my stash is out of control. I have an entire closet dedicated to my sewing, and yet, everything still ends up on the floor and draped over random pieces of furniture in the apartment. I find that I can't part with many pieces - I have a specific idea for almost every piece in my stash.  The only problem is that I cannot seem to find enough time to make everything!  This is a common issue among us sewists, I think. So, in an effort to effectively use my time and to whittle down my stash, I am joining the lovely Sally (of Quirky Peach fame) in her fabulous Summer Stashbust 2014 adventure!

I decided that this challenge would be a great way to get over my fear of serging once and for all.  While I have a lovely, brand new serger (Brother 1034-D), I had developed a fear towards it. I think it was the idea of threading it. I used one way back in the day when I worked in a costume shop, but I also new how to fix copiers when I was the print girl at an office supply store, and I don't remember much of that skill either.  

Enter the lovely Lisette, who, while living with me for a month, sat down with the serger and let me peer over her shoulder while she threaded it. Sure enough, I was able to re-thread it yesterday when the thread snapped unexpectedly. I felt like a champ :)


I decided a great project for practicing my serging skills would be the Jamie Christina Mission Maxi dress. I've made two versions of this pattern before, one for my sister, Kitty, and I wanted another for myself.

I had some fantastic knit from Girl Charlee left in my stash from my Rose Hip Tights:


and I thought this fabric would be perfect for a Tropical Tiki Maxi:


I'm not going to lie, friends: this took me less than two hours to cut and make with the serger.  AMAZING. I am now planning two more maxi dresses, though it's unlikely that they will have both flowers and volcanoes on them.


My face looks a bit unsure, but do not be fooled - I am crazy about the fit of this dress! I am calling this a stashbusting success :)

Friends, are you participating in Sally's stashbust? Check it out and sign up here


XOXO,
Meg

14 comments:

  1. Hey there bombshell! You look lovely in your new knit dress - And don't you just love serging to finish seams?! So easy now that you know how, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOA! Sizzle, sizzle! This is a hot dress! I just acquired my grandma's serger yesterday and it's my mission to learn how to use it! I dream of quick and easy maxi dresses! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, that fit on the maxi dress is spot on! And how awesome is that serger??! I have the same one and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an AWESOME dress!! Great match-up of pattern and fabric! And thanks for promoting the stashbust too :) The more moral support, the better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dress is sensational on you! You are a fancy drink with an umbrella on a beachfront! Nicely done....

    ReplyDelete
  6. super colorful drink of koolaid awesomeness, you need to make a closet full of these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recognize that purple awning! Women & Children first? AWESOME maxi, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That tropical maxi is AWESOME! Gorgeous shape and colours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dress...seriously amazing! Your blog always makes me want to start sewing again. Maybe I will :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wah, I have dress envy! It's absolutely gorgeous and fits perfectly!

    ReplyDelete