Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Summer Stashbust 2014: A Colorful, Comfy Pencil Skirt

Friends, working in an office environment can feel rather restricting, especially when it comes to clothes. In a business casual atmosphere, I understand what to wear (and what not to wear) on a day to day basis, and I try to sew accordingly. I always keep a lookout for knit fabric patterns that could pass for office wear because, for me, there is nothing better than avoiding a waistband digging into your stomach while you sit in the same place for 7 hours.

The darling lady Oona sent me the most delicious knit floral fabric months and months ago, and I've waited and hunted for the perfect knit pencil skirt pattern.  I knew there had to be one printed somewhere, and I really didn't want to use an online tutorial - I didn't want something to go wrong as the fabric became so precious to me.

Finally, I found what I was looking for in New Look 6228, View A. 


Now, I respected that New Look included an elastic waistband, but I was looking for something that had a zipper and could be worn with a blouse tucked in. Elastic waistbands really don't give me a look a like, and so I removed it altogether.



I put a zipper in the left side seam, a hook and eye at the top of it, and tapered the waistband in a bit to take out some of the ease that was left for the elastic.  The panels are all curved at the top to hug my curves in turn. This skirt is wiggle-tastic, you guys.


I'm not even going to lie: I LOVE how my butt looks in this. LOVE. 


I love having a little Oona-flair to rock at the office - it makes the cubicles so cheery :)

XOXO and many thanks, lovely Oona!!

Meg

13 comments:

  1. Whoa! So cute, Meg. Not only is this fabric gorgeous\Oonariffic, but the skirt hugs your curves beautifully! You look both work appropriate and super sassy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! The fabric! The fit! The Oona friend! And your sassy awesome self!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow -you look amazing in this meg amd I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Amazing skirt. It looks super comfy too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is so much awesomeness here, including your butt! LOL! What a fabulous skirt and I love the blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YESSSS!!!! i did a pencil skirt in this as well, and it's one of my favorite things, now all the more so because i know my meg is rocking hers! you look amazing. add a sticky note from me on that mirror :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Babe alert!!!!!!!!!! You look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo! That fabric is scrumptious! I think this entire outfit is a homerun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! I adore the print and totally agree it is oonariffic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL....I just made a geoprint pencil skirt and like you, LOVED how my but looked in them. LOL. I love the floral print in this skirt. You did an amazing job. xo

    Natasha B|fashionablyfab.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ow, ow! Girl you have fabulous curves!

    ReplyDelete