Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Dress Fit For Vegas

Friends, January has been a crazy month so far, and the highlight was definitely KITTY GRAND GETTING MARRIED. It was a big deal. And it was in Vegas. 


 Kitty's dress was very old Hollywood/Vegas, and she looked amazing. She also gave us bridesmaids the leeway to wear any style of black knee length cocktail dress we wanted. Well, of course I wanted to make a dress for the occasion!


After making several wearable muslins of different styles, I decided to go with Butterick 6129. It was classy, off the shoulder, and definitely would go with the jewelry that Kitty had picked out for us.


I chose to make it in a black cotton gabardine, and while it probably wasn't the best fabric for the pattern, I was SUPER comfortable the whole night. Crepe or taffeta (as the pattern calls for) would have worked best, especially in regards to the pleats running the full length of the skirt. I pleated at the waistline, and the eliminated the full skirt pleats as the fabric did not hold a crease well enough.


That said, I was surprised how well the pleats on the arm bands stayed in place. Because the fabric did not hold creases, I was worried the fabric would just fall or go all wonky during the day, but it wasn't an issue! The best part about the arms was the added bit of elastic casing in side. Those arm bands weren't going anywhere.


My only concern about the dress was I ended up cutting 4 inches of fabric out of the center back. My back darts are an inch away from the zipper, and at that point, should I have even bothered putting them in? The rest of the seams hit the mark beautifully, but the muslin (in cotton) and the final (in cotton gabardine), both had this issue. Thoughts, sewists?


Overall, the dress worked perfectly and wore well for many hours on end. Though it was comfortable, I wasn't sorry to take it off at the end of the night before hitting the bars (because strapless bras really are the worst). (Also, I totally wore this tee to the bar. It's my new favorite.)


A fabulous wedding, a gorgeous bride, and many hours of laughter that left me giggling for days. Here's to Kitty and Scooter, and their many years together!


XOXO,
Meg

14 comments:

  1. Awe, Meg, you look amazing! I can't even see the issues you were describing. They blend into the black very discretely! You are perfectly gorgeous in this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Kitty Grand! You both look awesome in your dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the style!!! Kitty Grand looks gorgeous and so does the whole bridal party!! Classy classy classy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kitty Grand got married!? Eeeee! So much fun!! Love your dress and the gorgeous red jewelry. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dress looks beautiful! And I think it looks better than the on the model on the pattern website. I'm at a loss over the back dart issue but regardless of any issues, the dress looks perfect. Cool tee-shirt too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and kitty both look beautiful. I love your dress. What a lovely wedding. All the best of luck to the happy couple!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and kitty both look beautiful. I love your dress. What a lovely wedding. All the best of luck to the happy couple!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and Kitty look so beautiful - I didn't even recognize her at first! I hope Vegas was a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you all look totally totally amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to your sis! You guys all look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww gorgeous wedding! Kitty's dress is absolutely ah-maze-ing! 😄

    Great dress that you made, too - love that off the shoulder look on you, and it works really well with the bridesmaid necklace 😄

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Love that dress - love the secret elastic (my MOB dress had the same thing). Everyone looked stunning in the bridal party - but you and Kitty - incredible! g

    ReplyDelete
  13. well done! I'm always in awe of successful sewing! :)

    ReplyDelete