Monday, December 26, 2016

Daily Action: Using Amazon.com for Good

Friends, I confess: I became an Amazon Prime member last year, and I use it constantly. It's especially great when I run out of crafting materials, and I would like something to be sent to me as soon as possible. I'll admit, I'm not a patient person, but I want to make sure that some of the money I am spending is going to a good cause. 

When I log onto Amazon, I make sure that I am using the website https://smile.amazon.com/. Amazon Smile takes part of your purchase (on Amazon Smile eligible items) and donates it to an organization of your choice. Currently, my donations go to Planned Parenthood of Illinois, and Amazon has a list of hundreds of charities and organizations that you can select from. If you're interested in making donations through Amazon, I recommend reading through all the information here: how to use Amazon Smile

Amazon has also recently launched an effort with Goodwill that makes use of your empty Amazon shipping boxes. Currently, I have three sitting in my sewing area. This new program asks that once you empty your boxes of the shipped merchandise, you fill it with items from your home that you no longer want/need, print off a free shipping label, and USPS or UPS will take it to the nearest Goodwill facility. My first box contains some sewing and crafting supplies that are no longer needed: extra crochet hooks (I have 12 extra hooks, in all various sizes) and patterns that I thought I liked at the time, but upon further reflection, nope. It also includes that glass juicing dish that I bought two years ago and has moved with me twice but I've never used. If you're looking to clean out some space in your life before the new year begins, here are details on how to get the free shipping label: Give Your Amazon Box New Life.

Finally, my relatives gave both my partner and I Amazon gift cards for Christmas. After assessing what we could possibly buy on Amazon, both of us realized we really didn't want anything at all. I feel pretty satisfied, as does he, with the amount of possessions in our home. Our cabinets have food, we have all the socks we need, and I'd just restocked all the cleaning supplies before the Holidaze party. We decided we would rather spend those gift cards on local organizations who have Wish Lists set up on the site. An easy way to find a local organization's wish list is to either check their main website, or look them up by name in the wish list directory. You can also type in your city, and search that way. We are hoping to donate to Habitat for Humanity - Chicago, Ronald McDonald House near Lurie Children's, and Chicago Books to Women in Prison. On their pages, I selected the link "Ask Your Friend to Update This List.". Some of the items were added a few years ago, and this is a good way to let the organization know that I want to help by donating exactly what they currently need. 

Friends, I hope you found this post helpful. If you have any further suggestions for how to use Amazon for good, I'm all ears! Let me know in the comments :)


Much love to all of you, and I wish you all Happy Holidays!

XOXO,
Meg

2 comments: