Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Daily Action: Add Your Name

Friends, even though I would like to donate to every cause I support on a monthly basis, my finances will not allow it. My debt plan for this year will also not allow it. It can feel frustrating and powerless to not be able to offer monetary support, but I am learning that I can support these organizations another way: with my name.

When Planned Parenthood went to deliver their petitions to Paul Ryan's office (after Ryan said PP would be denied funding as part of a repeal of the ACA), they were turned away. You cannot deny the powerful image of all of those boxes, full of 87,000 petitions, including one with my name on it.




Like John Proctor (or Daniel Day Lewis) said in the Crucible, it is MY NAME. It is the only one I have, and it belongs to no one but me. It is a powerful thing. 

Margaret Atwood, in the Handmaid's Tale, also speaks of the power of names:

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

While I cannot always donate to organizations, I can add my name. I stand for what this is saying. I am not afraid to be recognized as a supporter. I will not be listed as "anonymous." It can definitely be frightening to give up your anonymity, but as Mary Schmich once wrote, "Do one thing every day that scares you." 


(Friends, if there are petitions that you think need to be addressed, please feel free to add links below!)

XOXO,
Meg

0 comments:

Post a Comment