Monday, January 9, 2017

Daily Action: Call Your Senator

Friends, this week begins Senate confirmation hearings for Cabinet nominees, and up first is Jeff Sessions for the Attorney General post. If you're interested in the full calendar of hearings, see below (taken from Countable's calendar here).

If you have five minutes today, go ahead and put your Senators' contact information into your phone, and then start calling. Currently, I have two numbers for each of mine - their Illinois offices, and their DC offices. I'm calling today to ask them to oppose Jeff Sessions as Attorney General, and I'll keep calling throughout the week as the hearings come up. 

If you're unsure of your Senator's contact details, this Google document outlines two numbers for each Senator. Also, if you prefer to work from a script like I do, here is a great one that I just used specifically for the confirmation hearings.
Attorney General
Secretary of Homeland Security
Secretary of State
Secretary of Education
Secretary of Transportation
Secretary of Defense
  • Nominee: Gen. James Mattis
  • Hearings: Thursday 1/12 in the Armed Services Committee
  • Committee Vote: TBD
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
Secretary of Commerce
  • Nominee: Wilbur Ross
  • Hearings: Thursday 1/12 in the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee.
  • Committee Vote: TBD
Secretary of Labor
  • Nominee: Andy Puzder
  • Hearings: Tentatively Thursday 1/12 in the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee.
  • Committee Vote: TBD
Secretary of Health and Human Services
  • Nominee: Rep. Tom Price (R-GA)
  • Hearings: Tentatively the week of 1/16 in the Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee.
  • Committee Vote: TBD
Secretary of the Treasury
  • Nominee: Steven Mnuchin
  • Hearings: TBD in the Finance Committee.
  • Committee Vote: TBD
Secretary of the Interior
  • Nominee: Rep. Ryan Zinke (R-MT)
  • Hearings: TBD in the Energy and Natural Resources Committee.
  • Committee Vote: TBD
Secretary of Energy
  • Nominee: Rick Perry
  • Hearings: TBD in the Energy and Natural Resources Committee.
  • Committee Vote: TBD

3 comments:

  1. Hi I'm not a resident of the USA but I want to thank you for the work you are doing to raise awareness about what people who are dismayed, angry and down right fearful can do to make their voices heard at this time. I wish I could help you too as I am very concerned about the impact of this administration on the rest of the world and feeling very helpless. Good luck and know you have many supporters all over the globe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not in the US either but send all of my support and am doing what I can from the UK. Well done Meg I admire your positive activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I am in the US, in Hawaii to be precise, and I don't need to call because our state senators are both Dems who will oppose the bum rush confirmation hearings. But I hope those who aren't sure how their Senators will be voting will call their senators to voice their concerns about having hearings before the vetting process was even completed.

    ReplyDelete