Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Daily Action: Say Thank You

I know this post may seem like a given, but hear me out: I think we have a long four years ahead of us, and a good place to start with building kindness in this world is by saying "thank you." 

When you're getting off the bus at the front, or when you're in the first train car and you are passing the operator as you walk off, say thanks. They got you to your destination in one piece, and you were able to knit, read, chat, browse, or nap a little because they took care of you. 

Thank your servers, because they are trying to make a living wage and make everyone happy at once. 
Say thanks to your friends and family, if they have supported you, are supporting you, or will support you in the future while you do what you need to do to make it through each day. 

Say thank you to those who hold doors, share their stories with you, who are out shoveling their sidewalks that you walk on every day, who work in your libraries, who answer your technology questions via chat on a website, who have given you a new perspective on an issue.

Finally, think about saying thank you to your representatives. 

My senator, Dick Durbin, is currently catching a lot of heat for co-sponsoring the BRIDGE Act


I personally think this bill is a great step forward, and I'm pleased to see my senator listed as a co-sponsor. I called yesterday to thank him (or have his staffers pass along my thanks), because I want him to know that his constituents approve of what he is doing. I want him to keep fighting for work authorization and other methods of deferring deportation. 

If your elected representatives are doing a good job, or taking a stand on hard issues, please let them know you support their actions. Our voices of support need to be heard in order for our reps to keep fighting on our behalf. 

If you're interested in communicating with your reps on this issue, I recommend using the Countable app (or desktop version). It'll communicate your opinion without having to pick up the phone (I work best with a script, TBH, but sometimes I feel adventurous.)

As always, if you're reading this, thank you - it means so much to me to have you here.


6 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I have two great Senators that I definitely need to thank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :) I am enjoying reading your daily action posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, you are inspiring me post Brexit which I sorely needed- thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your posts, you blog, and for sharing your thoughts with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these posts; say YES to social activism!

    ReplyDelete