Friends, it's only Wednesday, and I'm exhausted.
I keep thinking, If only I had more hands, more time, more contacts, then I could defeat this, do this, help this. Sometimes, I need to recognize that I am just one person, and I am doing everything that I can. Also, I sometimes need to step away and take a breather. Let my brain relax. Let my heart rate return to normal. Because this is not normal. Every day, I must remind myself: This Is Not Normal.
My partner sent me a great article this morning: How To #StayOutraged Without Losing Your Mind. I think he can tell from our frequent phone conversations that I am having a difficult time making it through the days in a healthy state of mind. After reading, I made a list of things I can do to unplug for a little while. Here's what I got so far:
- Read a book on my couch, underneath my rainbow holiday lights. (I'm currently reading this fantastic book)
- Do my laundry (this requires focus, as I'd really rather not throw my me-mades in the dryer)
- Check the status updates of this restaurant in Illinois. They never fail to cheer me up.
- knit, sew, weave - make something.
- Organize my schedule. I like planning and knowing what's coming up, so when I see something I want to attend, that goes into my paper planner. I've just added this event to my schedule.
- Take a shower. Wash my hair. Shave my legs. Make the bathroom steamy and cozy.
- Clean out the papers from my desk. Make a pile for shredding.
- Go to the library.
- Walk to the lakefront.
- Do my taxes. Yay taxes.
- Sweep my floors (not exactly exciting, but hardwood floors + fabric scraps + yarn fiber + long hair = the biggest dust bunnies you ever saw)
That's what I've got so far, and I imagine, by the end of this week, I will have the cleanest floors you've ever seen.
Friends, what do you do to unplug and take care of yourself? If you have any suggestions, please let us know in the comments below!
XOXO and stay strong,