Monday, January 2, 2017

Resolutions: 2017

Friends, I had hoped to bring you a third post relating to the documentary 13TH by Ava DuVernay, but sadly, I was not able to navigate beyond the myriad of fake news sites I was coming across. I'll keep my eyes open for credible sources regarding companies that use prison labor in the United States and hopefully have something to share with you on that at a later date.

In the meantime, let's talk about 2017.

"May the bridges I burn light the way."

(OK - it's a quote from a 90210 episode, but it totally fits how I'm feeling this year.)


Like I said on Instagram, I'm no longer afraid to have difficult conversations after the 2016 election. It's just one of my resolutions this year, and this might be the first year that I actually chose achievable resolutions! (Well, most of them anyway. The knitting one is a bit iffy.) 

In 2017, I resolve to do one thing every day to make the world and my environment around me a safe and better place to live, for my friends, my community, my city, my country, myself.

I resolve to listen. To not try and dominate conversations, to approach interactions with an open mind, and to learn from those who have experienced what I cannot imagine. 

I resolve to read. To be uncomfortable, to push my boundaries, to gain insight into movements in our culture, to be a supporting force of authors and artists.

I resolve to stand up. To not be a passive bystander, to not be silenced by friends, family, or fear, to have difficult conversations with my communities.

I resolve to become debt free. 

I resolve to work towards having 200 completed projects on Ravelry. Knitting is my main stress reliever, so I'm rarely without a project on the needles.

I'm also hoping to put into practice some of these body positive resolutions, especially number 19.

Friends, do you have any resolutions for the coming year? Please let me know in the comments below, and Happy New Year!



5 comments:

  1. Love! I wish you the best of luck. I feel like that 90210 quote is quite appropriate for my work life right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your 2017 will be life enhancing, difficult, enlightening, freeing and probably quite stressful. Keep knitting and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ////I want to make sure you are aware of this https://www.pussyhatproject.com/mission/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been really enjoying your posts lately. Thank you for inspiring action. I'm currently reading Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein in my book club for progressive thought and action. It's scary but enlightening. I wish everyone would read it. She has a new book out that I want to read, too. Keep up the energy to make positive change! I believe it is the time for all of us to become the change we want to see and live our values in our choices as individuals. We can't wait for our government to make changes that represent what we believe. Happy New year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am adding that book to my library list now - thank you for the suggestion!

      Delete