Saturday, February 4, 2017

Daily Action: AdStrike

Friends, when I have a few minutes to spare and I don't feel like doing the dishes, I log onto AdStrike

It has a pretty simple premise:


Sleeping Giants (@slpng_giants on Twitter) notes which companies advertisements are being featured on Breitbart, and publishes the companies and screenshots onto the AdStike site. You can then tweet at the companies directly from AdStrike, letting them know they are being featured as advertisers on Breitbart.




According to the Sleeping Giants database, 818 companies have pulled their advertising from Breitbart so far. It's a small, quick thing to do, but it all adds up and makes a big difference when it comes to dismantling hate speech.

Much love to you all,
Meg

5 comments:

  1. Meg, thank you so much for posting this information. I was shocked to find the Canadian Diabetes on the list, they have in the past got my clothing and book donations. That list and the information you've been posting has been a real education for me. And for that I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to ask a genuine question. Who decides what constitutes "fake" news or "hate speech"? I have seen every single media outlet, written and broadcast, labeled as "fake" news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you'll have to research and use your judgement according to your value system.

      Delete
    2. Hi Nursebennett! I found this article to be supremely helpful in figuring out what constitutes fake news: http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/12/05/503581220/fake-or-real-how-to-self-check-the-news-and-get-the-facts

      Regarding hate speech, the easiest definition would be that hate speech targets people, as individuals or groups, because of who they are. There's a great toolkit here that I recommend checking out if you have time: https://www.article19.org/data/files/medialibrary/38231/Hate_speech_report-ID-files--final.pdf

      Delete
    3. This tool, RBUTR, http://www.rbutr.com/, could also be really useful if more people used it. It's meant to encourage discussions of online articles by linking to other discussions and counter points on the topic.

      Delete