Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Daily Action: Go to a Community Meeting/Rally/Event

Friends, lately I've been getting more and more involved in my local community. Last week, I went to my first Indivisible rally, and it was very informative and inspiring. I took the below picture right before we reached capacity and moved outside to fill the sidewalk. 


There were less than a hundred of us, but Illinois State Senator Daniel Biss stayed and answered any questions we asked for over an hour (and it was COLD). My senator also showed up, but wasn't able to stay. Still, it was great to be able to shake her hand and say thanks to her and Senator Biss for sponsoring progressive bills in Illinois.


On Saturday, my partner and I went to a rally in support of transgender rights. It was chilly, but we felt it was important to have as many people out there as a show of support for our families, friends, and neighbors. We filled a 7/11 parking lot, and the speakers were all amazing. 



For today's daily action, I'd like for you to mark one upcoming community meeting/rally/event on your calendar. It can be in support of a marginalized group, or just a general meeting with like-minded folks to talk out a plan of action or learn more about how local government works. I receive daily emails from my local Indivisible chapters (both city and district wide), which help me to discover events I'd like to attend. If you're interested in signing up for those emails, including ones localized for your area, you can do so here

If you're not able to get away from the house this week, maybe invite some folks over to watch a PBS special on female trailblazers, Maya Angelou, or Jimi Hendrix, or watch the address to Congress tonight. You could write postcards or letters to your reps while you watch, or knit hats for a local shelter, or make cookies for a local group who makes your community a better place (hey, local chamber of commerce!). Even if it's something small, it still makes a difference.

XOXO and take care of yourself,
Meg


0 comments:

Post a Comment