Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Daily Action: Save the Dates

Friends, I'm a planner by nature, and I keep finding great events that I'd like to attend in the upcoming weeks/months. Here's what I've got scheduled so far:


This film opens nationwide in two days. Make plans to see it this weekend, next week, or next weekend.

The Chicago Public Library is hosting multiple events, every day, to celebrate Black History Month. I'm particularly interested in my coworker's event, where he will be speaking about his book, Pioneering Cartoonists of Color. I got a chance to look at the book, and it's truly wonderful. Check out your local library's listing of events, and if nothing is scheduled, see if you can get an event together.

Organizations are signing folks up to do phone banking to save the Affordable Care Act. This is a list of dates and places in Illinois, but check your local area to see if there is a phone bank being organized near you. 

If you're looking to get some face to face time with your Representative, check out this google spreadsheet that has a running list of upcoming town halls. There is an email address included in case you have updates or additions. I'd also encourage you to call your reps if you don't see something scheduled, and ask when the next town hall is planned. Nothing planned? Get your fellow constituents together to call and pressure the rep to plan a town hall (here's an example of that method working).

If you're interested in taking part in the upcoming Scientists March on Washington, DC (or getting details about satellite marches), sign up for information about the April 22, 2017 event here: https://www.marchforscience.com/ 

Also in DC, there will be a People's Climate March on April 29, 2017. You can find details on that here.



Finally, a little beacon of hope: the Boy Scouts will allow transgender kids to join its ranks. I was super pleased to hear this, and after reading this article, fully intend to announce my agreement of this out loud:


Friends, don't forget the self-care this week. You deserve it.

XOXO,
Meg

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say thank you for all these political action posts you've been doing. You've helped me so much, and I'm sure I'm not the only one! There's so much fear and anger and worry out there, and it's really helpful to have tasks to channel that energy into. Thank you, stay strong, and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wanted to thank you. As a stay at home mom of two little kids, I often feel useless and hopeless because I can't be out marching and fighting. But with all the ideas you post I can find little things to do here and there, like the thank you letter I emailed to the boy scouts. I really appreciate the work you're doing here. Even if I don't comment, I'm out here listening and taking action when I can.

    ReplyDelete