Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Daily Action: Make a Change in Energy Suppliers

Friends, I am more than a bit frustrated with the current administration's efforts to defund and deplete the Environmental Protection Agency. In an effort to combat these cuts, I've been calling my representatives and making some changes in my own life. 

Yesterday, I signed up to change energy suppliers. In the past, I was regularly getting mail from companies asking me to switch suppliers, but their language was never clear, and I could not understand what was being asked of me. On Sunday, during a meeting of our local huddle group, one of the members said she had switched energy suppliers, and was now using CleanChoice Energy. (You guys, I LOVE hearing testimonials from people I know.) We peppered her with questions, and after finding out that CleanChoice provides 100% renewable energy from wind and solar sources, we wouldn't need to worry about multiple bills (ComEd will still be delivering the energy to our homes), and the change in cost is nominal, we were sold. Three of our group switched suppliers yesterday. I am so excited about this change, and cannot seem to talk about anything else! 

CleanChoice also supplies energy in the below states, so if you're interested, make the switch here


I've also been doing the following:

I've asked nearly every one I know in Illinois to fill out a witness slip in support of this bill, which would reinstate container deposits in our state. YES to keeping recyclables out of landfills! 

I've also been throwing my support behind a bill that would eliminate dark or green non-compostable bags in retail establishments, which has led me to researching compostable bags for my own home.

Since I can access the electrical outlet that is used for my microwave, I unplug my microwave after every use.
I cut up some old tee shirts to use for rags (sorry, Hard Rock Cafe!)

In an effort to get rid of some of our dependence on plastic for food storage, I've been reusing glass jars from purchased spaghetti sauce, soups, etc. I also tried out some DIY goo gone to get rid of the labels. These jars are also SUPER handy for craft storage (hey, button stash).

I called the landlords to weather seal our porch door, which has definitely helped with heating the apartment, and I haven't needed to use the space heater at all this year.

It's officially Spring, which means it's time to clean out my closet of anything I haven't worn in a year. I'm currently gathering items together for a clothing swap at the end of next month. (If clothing swaps aren't your thing, you can also do a household item swap, or a book swap!)

I've been in contact with a local composting service to help reduce our trash output (as we don't have the space for a composting bin right now).

I've started knitting swiffer cloths. I love having clean floors, and the cost for purchasing wet wipes is getting a bit prohibitive!

Lastly, and maybe most importantly, I had a conversation with my partner about what I would like to see change in our home. I'd like for us to recycle what we already have, conserve where we can, and make changes for a more sustainable future...and they agreed! 


Friends, I'd love to hear about any changes you've made or are making in your life to become more eco-friendly - let me know in the comments below!

XOXO,
Meg







1 comment:

  1. All that work, all those calls and letters make a difference,and now you know it for sure. Keep it up you are making a difference!

    ReplyDelete